About Joyfully Jay
- Who are you and why are you writing this blog?
- What kinds of things can I find on Joyfully Jay?
- Is there a way I can receive updates whenever something new is posted at Joyfully Jay?
- How can I contact you? And are there other places you hang out online?
- How do you choose what books to read and review?
- Who besides you writes reviews for the blog?
- What scale do you use to rate the books you read?
- Do you consider requests for review from authors or publishers?
- Where do you get the books you review?
- I am an author with a new book coming out. Can Joyfully Jay be a blog stop or a place I can do an interview or guest post?
- Why do you include buy links for Amazon and All Romance Ebooks in your reviews?
- What do those acronyms mean that you use in your reviews?
Getting Around the Site
- How do I search the site or find an old post?
- I am trying to post a comment but it won’t work. Any ideas?
Contests and Giveaways
- How do you choose winners for your giveaways?
- Are there any rules I need to know to enter a giveaway?
- I have a book or other prize I’d like to giveaway. What should I do?
About Joyfully Jay
Who are you and why are you writing this blog? Let’s see. My name is Jay and I am a suburban wife and mom and an avid reader. I read incredibly quickly (usually 3-5 books a week). I also have a need to talk about EVERYTHING all the time (just ask my husband). So I figured, what better than to create my own blog where I can talk about all the books I love to read! I am having a lot of fun, chatting about books and meeting readers and other bloggers.
What kinds of things can I find on Joyfully Jay? Joyfully Jay reviews primarily adult m/m romance as that has been my main reading interest for the past few years. We also occasionally review other GBLT romance, m/m romantic fiction, and m/m YA. I also frequently run interviews with authors, hold giveaways giveaways, and host author blog visits. In the future I’d like to add more guest posts, both from readers and authors, so if you have any ideas, let me know. I also run periodic theme weeks with focus on a particular book genre.
Subscribe to the blog via RSS feed- Getting the RSS feed will allow copies of the posts to be sent right to your blog reader. I follow a lot of blogs and this is how I read most of them as it allows me to see them all in one place and get notified almost right away when new things are posted. On the right-hand side bar under “Follow” click the RSS feed button (it’s the first one on the left) to get the feed (feed://joyfullyjay.com/feed), which you can then add to a reader, like Feedly (what I use). I have an older Feedburner feed as well that is still up and running but it is unreliable, and I suggest everyone use the pure feed I have noted instead.
Follow me on Twitter – The blog is set to automatically send notifications out on my Twitter feed every time I publish a new post. These go up pretty quickly, usually within about 1/2 hour of posting. Plus you get all my witty and wonderful tweets, lol. So even if you subscribe another way, I’d love to have you follow me anyway. You can click the blue Twitter button in the right-hand sidebar to sign up.
Friend me on Facebook – I have a Joyfully Jay Facebook page where you can find updates on all our blog posts, as well as a lot of other fun and craziness. Click the Facebook icon on the right-hand sidebar to sign up.
Subscribe to the blog via email - You can be sent an email every time a new post goes up on Joyfully Jay. Just a warning that there is quite a bit of lag time with the email subscriptions. I find mine come anywhere from 30 minutes to a day after the post goes up (although usually it is a few hours), so this isn’t great if you want timely updates.
To get an email subscription, choose the blue email button in the right-hand sidebar. After you enter your email address you will get emailed a little welcome message. You must follow the link in this message and confirm your registration before you will start getting emails, so keep your eye out for this and check your spam filter if you don’t see it.
How can I contact you? Are there other places you hang out online? You can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am always happy to hear from my readers so feel free to get in touch if you have anything you want to share. You can also find me on Twitter @jayhjay432 and Facebook or hanging around Goodreads. Click any of the icons under “Follow” on my sidebar to follow me in various places around the web.
How do you choose what books to read and review? The books we review are chosen based on what we are most interested in reading. We often consider books upon request from the author or publisher, but we only agree to review books we are personally interesting in reading. In addition to reading interest, we also choose books based on time/scheduling as well as fit for the blog.
Who besides you writes reviews for the blog? I am very lucky to have four amazing associate reviewers on the blog right now, Sammy, Crissy, Melanie, and Amy. They are all enthusiastic readers of m/m romance and generously have agreed to share their reviews here at Joyfully Jay. You can get more details on any of us over at the About Us page. Over time, we may be looking for additional guest reviewers so feel free to contact me if you are interested.
Do you consider requests for review from authors or publishers? Yes, I am always willing to consider and respond to requests for review from authors and publishers. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you have a book you think I might be interested in reviewing. More details are on my Requesting a Review page.
Where do you get the books that you review? Most of the books we review are books we have been given by authors or publishers for review purposes. Some of the books are also ones we have purchased for ourselves. For reasons of FTC Disclosure, please assume all books reviewed at Joyfully Jay are provided by the publisher or author unless otherwise noted.
I am an author with a new book coming out. Can Joyfully Jay be a blog stop or a place I can do an interview or guest post? I am always willing to consider and respond to request for review. Joyfully Jay also often hosts authors for interviews, guest blogs, giveaways, and other blog stops. Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss opportunities.
Why do you include buy links for Amazon and All Romance Ebooks in your reviews? Joyfully Jay participates in affiliate programs with both Amazon and ARe. This means that if you follow a link from my blog to one of these sites and make a purchase, Joyfully Jay receives a small percentage back (usually 4-6%). This works for any purchase in that shopping session, even if you end up buying an unrelated product. Any money earned goes back to help support our efforts here at Joyfully Jay and we greatly appreciate you shopping through our site. Thanks for your support!
What do those acronyms mean that you use in your reviews? We try not to use too many acronyms but I know sometimes we drift into shortcuts. Here are some common acronyms you might see here or on other blogs. (If you noticed anything I missed just let me know and I’ll add it)
HEA – Happliy Ever After
HFN – Happy for Now
POV – Point of View
MCs – Main Characters
GR – Goodreads
M/M – Male/Male romance novel
back to top
Getting Around the Site
How do I search the site or find an old post? There are a few ways to search the site. First, you can use the Search My Site box in the right-hand sidebar. This will search all posts and titles for a match.
Another useful way to search is to use the categories or tags (keywords) located in the pink boxes at the bottom of individual posts. If you click on any of the categories or tags, all posts with the same category/tag will be listed. Each post is tagged with labels with key information. For reviews, I generally include the rating, the author, publisher, genre, and other key things about the book. If you want to find other books by a given author, for example, clicking on the author’s tag at the end of the post will pull up all posts with that same author keyword. Or if you want to find all reviews for books in a particular series, choose the series tag. The same works for any category or tag so it is a great way to find similar posts on a topic of interest.
Also, be sure to check out the Site Map page in the red menu bar. There you can find a list of all pages, a monthly archive, all the categories, and links to the past month or so of reviews.
I am trying to post a comment but it won’t work. Any ideas? Sometimes I hear from readers that they are unable to leave a comment. Usually switching browsers will solve the problem. For some reason these browsers are quite finicky and one that works fine one day may act up the next. If changing browsers doesn’t help and you are still unable to comment, let me know and I will post it manually for you.
Contests and Giveaways
How do you choose winners for your giveaways? Giveaway winners are chosen by random number by Random.org. For contests where you must comment to win, only the first comment will be counted into the drawing. In some cases, authors or publishers choose their own winners.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.
I have a book or other prize I’d like to give away. What should I do? Just contact me at email@example.com and we’ll work something out.