Today I am really excited to welcome Kris Jacen from MLR Press to the blog. Kris is here for an extended edition of our Joyful Approach GRL Countdown to talk to us more about GRL from an editor perspective. She also brought a fabulous giveaway of any book by an MLR author attending GRL so be sure to check that out below. Welcome Kris!
GRL – a non-author perspective
It’s strange to go to an event as an editor (or even as a publisher, I’m sure) when its purpose is for readers to connect with authors and vice versa. Editors and publishers are there to support their authors and yet, sometimes we can be the focus. We’re on the sidelines somewhat but every so often the spotlight is on us.
This year will be my third at GRL, and yes, I can say I’ve been squealed at (OMG, you’re JL’s Kris) and I’ve had authors afraid to talk to me (I’m really approachable, at least I think so). Unlike in previous years, I’m actually going to have some time that’s NOT spoken for. Yup, you heard it here first – Kris has some time unaccounted for during GRL Atlanta. I’ve enjoyed the previous two years, running from here to there to there, but I am looking forward to being able to just sit and talk.
Joining me this year for MLR are (in no particular order): Shae Connor, Marshall Thornton, Jambrea Jones, Stephani Hecht, Lynley Wayne, Lloyd Meeker, Rider Jacobs, Jade Buchanan, Sara York, Kendall McKenna, Ally Blue, Angel Rothamel, T.A. Chase, Shannon West, Cherie Noel, Michael Rupured, Silvia Violet, Kaje Harp, AKM Miles, ZA Maxfield, Embry Carlysle, LE Franks, AC Katt, Rick Reed, Jet Mykles, Erika Pike, Kiernan Kelly, Z. Allora, Simone Anderson, JP Bowie, Ethan Day, Geoff Knight, Poppy Dennison, K-lee Klein and DH Starr. I think I’ve listed everyone.
Some memories from previous years:
- Sitting on the balcony at Café Lafitte in Exile talking with Rick Reed, Doug Starr, William Cooper, Clare London’s son and Lori Bell’s son. Those quiet moments talking with Doug and Rick will forever be close to my heart.
- Singing the Jeopardy! theme to Geoff Knight as he took his sweet time coming to the microphone to do his reading and him having NO CLUE what I was singing.
- Running to catch the riverboat for the signing with several others trying to keep up with me (yeah, for someone as short as I am, I can move when I need to)
- Spending time the final night having drinks with two unbelievable gentlemen – JP Bowie and William Neale
- Placing tattoos on several MLR authors in strange places (yes, I have gotten to touch Rick Reed and Doug Starr below the waist and the cleavage of ZA Maxfield)
- Saying goodbye to two wonderful men, William Neale and Patrick Michael, at the Day of the Dead party (and crying in front of everyone)
- Screaming first edits for Strength of the Pack at Kendall McKenna during karaoke and them making complete sense to her
- Finding out that I’m to blame for a whole lot of MLR authors BEING MLR authors at the publisher’s spotlight (something about challenging authors over at ZAM’s yahoo group)
Some important friendships for me have started at GRLs (you all know who you are and how much you mean to me). I’m looking forward to making more memories this year in Atlanta. So if you see me, please, please, please come up and say hi. I promise I won’t bite but I won’t promise to not hug.
Kris is offering up a reader’s choice of any book from one of the MLR authors attending GRL this year. You can see a full list of authors attending in the post above. Just leave a comment for your chance to enter. The contest ends on October 14th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.
Even more reasons to be jealous of those attending GRL, some fun and poignant comments from Kris
Count me in for the giveaway please.
I am getting excited! I’ll have already attended the Newbie meeting and hopefully have met some authors by this time next week. SO looking forward to it even if I am still a little anxious!
Thank you for the giveaway and the post.
Aw man, I gotta get there one of these years! Please count me in…
Count me in please.
I’m sad that I can’t attend since it’s fairly close to home, but there’s just too much going on at home for me to skip out for a few days 🙁 Besides, it’s falls around my anniversary, not a good time to ditch the husband 🙂
The GRL always sounds a very enjoyable event and I hope everyone enjoys it this year. Please count me in for the giveaway as well. Thanks
You’ve got a lot of my favorite authors and I’d love to win. Also, one day I hope you write about exactly what an editor does. I know the basics but it would be interesting to learn more about the interactions with authors, decisions regarding cutting, expanding, changing, etc.
This series of posts is not good for my jealousy. It keeps growing!
GRL sound like a great place to be I hope you enjoy it again this year. Please count me in for the Giveaway.
I can’t wait to meet you Kris and your MLR authors, that list is a who’s who of my favorites…so I will be the fan-girl stalker going squeal when I see you (just a friendly warning, and that I’m really harmless…really!)
These posts are killin’ me..I wish I were attending..grr!
Kris, you are as famous as your authors. Hope to meet you next year in person. Hugs
Please count me in, thank you
Wish I was going to GRL! Please count me in. Thanks for the giveaway!
Love to attend some year. Count me in please 🙂
Awesome giveaway! Please count me in! Have a wonderful trip to Atlanta and enjoy GRL!
I wish I could attend, but it’s a long way from the UK.
It’s lovely to see a post by a publisher.
Please add me for a chance to win one of your excellent books 🙂
Thanks for the post! I won’t be at GRL so I will be envying everyone that is having fun!
Oh yes, please count me in. So jealous of all the fun you will be having.
It’s my third year going as well. I have seen Kris around and even had the opportunity to talk to her but…well, shyness will have it’s way;) I’m looking forward to this year’s as much as I have the last two! It’s always exciting. Oh, and the tattoos last year…thank goodness I went around with someone much more outgoing than me because…having to ask some of the authors where they were *blushing*
So bummed that I can
t go to GRL this year. Please count me in for the drawing. Have a fantastic time, Kris!!!
Looking forward to meeting you and all the authors at GRL.
Pls count me in. Grl sounds amazing
Wishing you a wonderful time at GRL and more friendships for you this year. Thanks for the contest!
Hope you have a great time at GRL. Please count me in!
Hope you have a great trip! Say hi to all ten of my favorite authors for me, please. Thank you!
Wish you all a great time at GRL! Please count me in.
Please count me in.
I’m sooo jealous!! Please count me in too. 🙂
Sounds like a lot of fun … please count me in for the giveaway.
Wish I could go. There are some wonderful authors there.
GRL sounds like a lot of fun. Please count me in for the drawing. Thanks!
I hope one day I am able to attend. These sound like so much fun. Thanks for the giveaway.
Please count me in for the giveaway! GRL sounds so fun. I hope I have the chance to go one of these days.
It’s nice hearing from a non-author perspective. Thanks for sharing, wish I could go!
Please count me in. Thanks.
Kris is awesome and so nice! Can’t wait to see her again this year!!
Just one more reason to want to go!!
Ohhhh so sad :'( I won’t be going. Have another fabulous time Mama Kris and enjoy the down time you’ve secured cause it may not last long. 😉
kalimar2010 @ gmail.com
I wish I was attending! Please count me in. Thanks for the giveaway.
Thanks all for the comments. I’m glad to share my viewpoint.
Andrea – you’ll have to be a bit more specific on what you’d like to know on the editing front. I’ve done several blogs for other sites that give some insight into editing.
Danny – muah! I always wonder why people want to meet me.
Thanks for sharing your great memories, Kris. How wonderful that you are going to be adding to them again this year!
I hope one day to be able to go to GRL. Sounds like it’s a great event.