Hello everyone! Today I am so excited to welcome back the fabulous S.E. Jakes to Joyfully Jay. S.E. is here to talk to us more about her new release, Long Time Gone (which I so totally loved and think you all should rush right out and read). She is talking to us today about sex in books (of which LTG has lots with much hotness). She has also brought along multiple great giveaways, including one just for Joyfully Jay commenters. So please join me in giving S.E. a big welcome!
Thanks to Joyfully Jay for having me back again for my new Riptide book tour for LONG TIME GONE, the second book in the Hell or High Water Series.
In Catch A Ghost, you met Prophet and Tommy, operatives at EE, Ltd. In Long Time Gone, Prophet and Tommy are reunited, and, as I keep saying on social media sites, I think I’ve been forgiven for the ending of Catch A Ghost, yes?
There’s still a hell of a lot of story to tell, though, and I’m really glad I’m able to do so over the next two books. But that’s not what I’m here to talk about today. Today, we’re going to talk about sex. (Is that cheering I hear?)
I’ve talked about the importance of sex scenes before (and I’ve also wondered aloud to my readers as to why my sex scenes need the least editing, but that’s a story for another day.) It’s a rule of thumb in writing erotica that, if you can take the sex scenes out without hurting the story, you don’t have an erotic story but rather a story with sex shoved in.
I don’t consider the Hell or High Water series erotica per se, but I know that if you took out the scenes where Prophet and Tommy have sex, the story would suffer. Scratch that—there couldn’t be a story, because those scenes aren’t just about sex – they’re an integral part of how the book(s) move forward and propel each installment to its natural conclusion. Because every single time those guys have sex, they are building a connection, whether they want to or not. Sex is their chosen language, so to speak, the way they communicate when they’ve failed to communicate with words. Or when they simply don’t want to.
So, for my books, those scenes are hot and they’re sweet and sometimes they’re rough and tumble and even uncomfortable because of the truths they reveal, but they always tell a part of the story. The story doesn’t stop when Prophet and Tommy have sex—rather, their relationship is moving. Evolving. And yes, even when there are alligators and duct tape involved.
Sex has always been an important part of my stories—always will be—because sex is (should be!) an important part of our lives. As important as love, whether or not they’re actually connected. And that is definitely a whole other story…(and I’m not insinuating ANYTHING about Prophet & Tommy with that last sentence – I swear! I promise you all an HEA at the end of the series 🙂
Talk to me about anything –Prophet and Tommy. Sex. Hot books you’d recommend to me (because I’m always looking for recs!). Comment below and you’ll automatically entered in the giveaway I’m doing specially for commenters on this blog—two $10.00 Amazon gift cards. You’ll also be entered into the bigger giveaway on my site – two $25.00 Amazon gift cards (and yes, you can win here and still be eligible for one of the bigger GCs).
About SE Jakes
SE Jakes writes m/m romance. She believes in happy endings and fighting for what you want in both fiction and real life. She lives in New York with her family and most days, she can be found happily writing (in bed). No really…
You can contact her the following ways:
- You can email her at email@example.com
- You can post to her Facebook page: Facebook.com/SEJakes
- You can Tweet her: Twitter.com/authorsejakes
- You can post on her Goodreads Group: Ask SE Jakes
- You can follow her Tumblr page: sejakes.tumblr.com
Truth be told, the best way to contact her is by email or in blog comments. She spends most of her time writing but she loves to hear from readers!
About Long Time Gone
Soldier of fortune Prophet Drews always worked alone—until Tom Boudreaux became his partner. But when Tom walked away three months ago, ostensibly to keep Prophet safe, Prophet learned the true meaning of being alone. Everyone knows that Prophet, a Navy SEAL turned CIA spook turned mercenary, can look after himself. Which means he must’ve driven his lover away.
Even with half a world between them, Prophet can’t get the man out of his head. Maybe that’s why he’s in New Orleans in the middle of a hurricane, protecting Tom’s aunt. But the only looter around is Tom, bursting back into Prophet’s life. It turns out that Prophet’s been stuck in Tom’s head—and heart—too.
Their explosive reunion gets even hotter when Tom is arrested for murder. As they fight to clear his name, they delve deep into his past, finding enemies among everyone they meet. Staying alive in such a dangerous world is hard enough, but they soon discover that fighting to stay together is the most difficult thing they’ve ever done.
You can read and excerpt and purchase at Riptide Books. Book 1 in the series, Catch A Ghost, is also available. And Dirty Deeds, an EE, Ltd novella will be available in January 2014)
As mentioned above, S.E. has brought lots of goodies for us today. Comment below to be entered in both giveaways. The first is just for commenters on Joyfully Jay —two $10.00 Amazon gift cards! You’ll also be entered into the bigger tour wide giveaway – two $25.00 Amazon gift cards (and yes, you can win here and still be eligible for one of the bigger GCs). So be sure to leave a comment to enter by Sunday, November 3rd at 11:59 pm to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.