Hi everyone! Today I am very pleased to welcome author Missouri Dalton to the blog. Missouri is here to talk to us more about her Stone House books (which Melanie reviewed and loved). She also brought a copy of Vampirism and You! to give away to one lucky reader. So please join me in giving her a big welcome!
The Stone House books started out as my answer to the current wave of vampire youth culture. It seemed as though vampires were getting–wimpy. Vampirism and You! was my response to that wave. The idea snowballed as I began layering in more snark and vampire pop culture references. I wanted to write a classic vampire–and a real teenager. Louis was the response to all the mopey, glittery, brooding vampire teens. Sure, he’s brooding and depressed but he’s also self-deprecating and his only interest in the girls at school is the blood running through their veins.
When I was first working on Necromancy and You!, I wanted to keep that same classic horror element I had with Vampirism and You! Al Skelton orders a handbook for raising the dead he sees advertised at the back of his favorite comic book with hopes of resurrecting his dead father. Add in a sarcastic ghost possessing the frog he was supposed to dissect in Biology and a cabal of evil necromancers and Al is in for a ride he’s definitely going to regret.
My goal with the series is to showcase classic horror monsters and concepts from the viewpoint of teenagers just getting their feet wet. I have plans for a series, but right now I’m working on How to Breathe Fire, which will focus on the sometimes scaly Will, a side character in both previous books. It’s sure to be a blast.
Necromancy and You!
Al Skelton is a nearly fifteen-year-old boy with an unusual interest—raising the dead. When the book Necromancy and You! arrives in the mail and Al’s interest goes from theory to practice as he’s dragged into a world he doesn’t really understand. A world full of undead frogs, vampires, ghouls and a sinister cabal called the Coalition who would like nothing more than to bring Al into their fold—by any means necessary.
Vampirism and You!
Louis’ whole life was planned right to a bite on the neck at his seventeenth birthday. The British native has a whole lot of changes coming his way. There’s the cravings, the urges, the relocation to rural USA…it’s a lot for a teenager to handle. Throw in the possibility that he might not be as straight as he always thought and it’s a tangled mess as Louis tries to navigate his new life.
Things aren’t going to be easy though, and his foster-vampire Duncan is determined to make Louis a fine upstanding example of vampirism—or else. When a new vampire shows up in town, Louis thinks he’s finally found someone to confide in, except Eli has his own agenda and Louis is about to find out that being a vampire means more than drinking blood and causing mayhem—there are also dirty politics, dark secrets and a whole lot of reading assignments.
Missouri is offering up a copy of Vampirism and You! to one lucky winner. Just leave a comment below for your chance to enter. The contest closes Friday, October 18th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.