Today I am so excited to welcome the fabulous Jambrea Jo Jones to the blog. Jambrea is here as my first guest as part of the GRL Blog Tour (I am one of the Featured Bloggers). Jambrea is sharing some thoughts with us about her GRL experiences. She is also offering up a copy of a book from her backlist to one lucky winner. So please join me in giving Jambrea a big welcome! (P.S. To see Jambrea’s pics more clearly, click on them)
GRL. What a wonderful experience. It is something I wait for every year. I remember it before it was GRL. Carol Lynne was having a little retreat at her house. I wanted to go so, so bad. It wasn’t to be, but I did get a badge sent to me. I was so happy to get that little piece. I saw the pictures and could see how much fun they were having.
I was really just starting out in my writing journey at the time and a BIG fan girl of Carol, still am. Love that lady. When it was announced that it was going to be a formal thing to thank readers and that it would be held in New Orleans, a place I had never been, I knew I had to go. No matter what. I was lucky that year, my mom had some air miles I was able to use and I had roommates to share the hotel cost. I was ready. It was then and there I knew I’d want to go to each and every GRL there would be. I had such a fun time visiting a place I’d never been. The people were so great and I felt at home. I’m a shy person until you get to know me. Or until I get to know you. But at GRL—I could be myself. Talk about books I’ve read or written.
I watched a few people do some readings and knew I would never do that. How could they stand in front of all those people and read—from their own books!!! The parties were nice and the people even better.
2012 found us going to New Mexico. Another place I had never been. This time I figured I’d drive. What the heck, right? I ended up driving all the way there only stopping for gas and potty breaks. I also picked two people up so I drove for around 36 hours right through. I was just a tiny bit tired, but it was so worth it because once I hit that hotel it was like I was coming home for a reunion. I saw people from last year and new people that I wanted to meet that I’d talked to online. This year I went in with my fellow Totally Bound authors to do a fun game called Dirty Pictionary. Or something like that. It was a fun time and I hope people enjoyed themselves. On the way home I might have had a small mishap with the car. A semi-truck blew a tire and there was nowhere to go but over it. Never fear, duct tape really does fix everything. I vowed never to drive again.
2013 we were in Atlanta, yet another place I hadn’t been to. I didn’t drive, I flew and I was very happy. Starting in 2012 six of us Totally Bound authors went in together to do an anthology. For Atlanta we placed the stories in the hotel we were staying and had characters from other stories visit ours. In my story I had one of my guys work in restaurant there in Atlanta so I made sure that I went there. The food was just as yummy as the guys in my story thought it was. And remember above when I said I’d never do a reading? Yeah, well, I did one in Atlanta. It didn’t go too bad. I also did a Q&A session. There were three of us. You’ll never guess who the other authors in my group were. Eric Arvin and TJ Klune. I had a front seat to the proposal. And yes I cried.
2014. This year we will be in Chicago. I have been there before and remember when I said I wouldn’t drive again? Well, Chicago is only 3 hours away, so it seems silly to fly. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing this year because we haven’t been told yet, but I’m excited either way. I love GRL and the family of my heart that will be there. I can’t wait to meet new people and see old friends.
I will be giving away an ebook copy from my backlist. www.jambrea.com
Jambrea is offering up a book from her back list to one lucky winner. Just leave a comment below to enter. The contest closes on Friday, May 2 at 11:59 pm EST. Updated: Due to some issues with site comments the contest entry date is extended to Saturday, May 3rd at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.