Today I am so excited to welcome the fabulous Katey Hawthorne to Joyfully Jay. Katey is here today as part of the GRL Blog Tour. She is chatting about her Superpowered Love series (which I totally adore). She has also brought along and AMAZING giveaway. So please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Fire by Katey Hawthorne
When I was putting the Superpowered Love world together, I knew I wanted to limit the available powers so each of them could get a full exploration—lots of different characters and angles. I also wanted them to be related and similarly generated within the body. (There’s a huge explanation here on the whys and wherefores, if that’s your bag. It’s totally mine, and thanks to my friend Irene for the superhero science of it.) It was a foregone conclusion one of them would deal with some form of pyromancy because, well. It’s the power I always wished I had. Good thing I don’t, but hey.
That’s why the first book in the series, Equilibrium, is from Hansen Marks’s point of view. A lot of times in stories, superpowers influence or reflect a character’s personality, but Hansen’s no hot-head. He’s level, stable, even, and the kind of guy who’s more comfortable thinking of romance in terms of economic theory than purple prose. Which doesn’t mean he won’t go balls-to-the-wall to protect someone he loves. Even economists have a little superhero in them, sometimes.
By contrast, my second fire-powered hero is Malory Claremont from Re-Entry Burn. Temperamental and tortured—yeah, those two words wrap Mal up pretty neatly—but having such destructive powers has at least enforced a kind of discipline on him… even if it’s mostly just exercised when he’s lighting things up. But he’s made his mistakes there, too, as he proves while he’s busy being the villain in Riot Boy. Mal’s the kind of guy who, if you saw him angry, you’d suspect you saw the fire in his eyes.
In my current Superpowered Love WiP, I’ve got another fire-thrower hero of a different kind: an actress called Genevieve. What good are fire powers in the theater? Oh… plenty. But more on that on another day.
My love for fire-powers must be obvious by now, so I’ll stop harping on it. But, in celebration of the elemental powers of the awakened and this year’s upcoming GRL (yay!), I’ve managed to strike up a partnership with Bunique Beads, my go-to source for shinies. Gretchen has designed a fabulous, handmade bracelet for each of the three awakened elemental powers, and she started with fire.
So I got one for myself. And I got one for you, which I’m giving away right now, here on Joyfully Jay!
Econ student Hansen Marks has been hot for Sam MacLeod since they first bonded over their secret superpowers–literally hot, since Hansen can produce fire from thin air. But soccer star Sam was always covered in girls, so Hansen kept his attraction in the closet and convinced himself that “best friends” was better than nothing.
When Sam’s electrical powers freak out in public, Hansen has a sinking feeling they’re spotted by unfriendly eyes. While dealing with the fallout, Sam’s emotional dependency on Hansen forces their mutual attraction to the surface. Even after they give in, Hansen is afraid to admit he’s in love. Sam doesn’t really like guys, he’s just feeling vulnerable… right?
Just as their nights are heating up, it becomes clear Sam’s electrical explosion was seen, and now someone has it in for both of them. They’ll have to save each other, both from the haters and from their own fears, if they want to maintain equilibrium.
They don’t call it “game theory” for nothing. Who knew Econ could be so hot?
Katey Hawthorne is an avid reader and writer of superpowered romance, even though the only degree she holds is in the history of art. (Or, possibly, because the only degree she holds is in the history of art.) Originally from the Appalachian foothills of West Virginia, she currently lives in Ohio. In her spare time she enjoys comic books, B-movies, loud music, Epiphones, and Bushmills.
Katey has brought a one of her custom made Fire bracelets to give to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Sunday, June 29th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.