Today I am so pleased to welcome S.A. McAuley to Joyfully Jay. Sam has come to visit as part of the GRL blog tour. She is also sharing an exclusive excerpt from the next book in her Borders War series and has brought along a copy to give away as well! Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
A Writer in Progress (or Burnout, Baby)
I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since GayRomLit in Atlanta and that we’re just days away from GRL2014 taking over Chicago. I’m already anticipating that the question I’ll hear the most from readers is “When will the fourth Borders War book be released?” The answer should have been August. Yes, of this year. As in two months ago.
The real answer, as of today, is… soon. Ish. I hope.
The really honest answer is that I spent a good portion of the last year in blank-laptop-screen-staring mode because I’m scared. There’s a hell of a lot of fear that comes with writing a series. I don’t know any author that takes the responsibility to character and story lightly, but I have a whole new respect for those authors who dare to take on the commitment of writing a series of books. And a whole new respect for readers who keep the faith in the dark ages between books.
So, stop me if you see me next week in Chicago. Ask me about Merq & Armise. Maybe when you ask about the progress of the fourth Borders War book, I’ll be able to give you a completely different answer. Until then, it’s time to get back to work. Back to writing.
And to say thank you for your patience, I’ll leave you with an excerpt from Falling, One by One the fourth book in the Borders War series:
I hadn’t heard Armise’s voice in months. The bass of his cadence rolled through me, the precision of his clipped consonants and lilting vowels more familiar than any other voice on earth. When he spoke in Continental English his speech was formal: contractions skipped, coarse language overlooked for more precise choices. It was in direct contrast to his rough reputation and his intimidating appearance.
I pushed down the knot in my stomach, that coil of fear mixed with anticipation that came to me every time I encountered Armise. I’d activated the auditory portion of the comm, but not the visual when I picked up his call, and I wondered where he was. What he looked like. If the set and movement of his body would give anything away if I could see him. I looked up at the night sky of the Northern Territories, at the depth of blackness highlighted by fading stars. It would be afternoon in Mongolia, if that’s where he was.
I sleep little, read a lot. Happiest in a foreign country. Twitchy when not mentally in motion. My name is Sam, not Sammy, definitely not Samantha. I’m a pretty dark/cynical/jaded person, but I hide that darkness well behind my obsession(s) for shiny objects. I’m the macabre wrapped in irresistible bubble wrap and a glittery pink bow, I suppose.
I have a never-ending-abyss-like secret love for poetry. Especially Rumi, Hafiz, and Neruda. You can predict (as well as change) my moods and my writing schedule by my playlists.
Insomnia is my greatest ally and my nemesis. I like cheese and bourbon, not necessarily in that order, but I’m flexible.
If you’re in any fandom, then I’m probably already in love with you. I’m not joking.
I like my tv shows marathoned and I have to use internet blocking software to be productive. I have software called Producteev that I loaded onto my laptop and proceeded to fill out in detail and now I haven’t touched it in a year.
I enjoy normalized chaos.
Hit me up! I love to hear from readers. xx
Books by S.A. McAuley
- An Immoveable Solitude
- Tread Marks & Trademarks (Team Maker Jock #1)
- Damaged Package
The Borders War series
- One Breath, One Bullet
- Dominant Predator
- Falling, One by One (coming soon)
- Someday It Will Be
- Flash Knockdown
- This is What a Cold Lake Looks Like
- Where the Land Goes on Forever
Sam has brought along an ARC ebook of Falling, One By One (Borders War #4) to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Sunday, October 19th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.