Today I am so pleased to welcome Z.A. Maxfield to Joyfully Jay. ZAM has come to share an excerpt from her latest release, Hell on Wheels. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving ZAM a big welcome!
As everyone probably knows by now, one of my very favorite things is populating my books with intriguing side characters. Bast, Television Actor Spencer Kepler-Constantine’s personal assistant, and Tui “Tick” Makura, his bodyguard and cook, are some of my best characters ever. They were a blast to write.
Bast is a bit of a mother hen, and former rugby player Tui is a big softie at heart. Together, they form the backbone of Spencer’s “found” family. He’d be lost without them.
I went to the middle of the book and found a fun snippet for my JJ readers:
Spencer opened the door to Tick’s soft knock and accepted the glass of fresh green juice he offered. He placed it next to his bed, where he’d been reading the paper, and sat back down.
“Thank you. How’s Bast feeling today?”
“He seems to be back to normal.” Tick shrugged. “Or whatever passes for normal in Bast’s case.”
“I heard that.” Bast came in behind Tick. “How was your evening out with Nash?”
“I had an extremely enjoyable time.”
“That bad, huh?”
“I said I had a good time.”
“You said you had an extremely enjoyable time. Which isn’t the same thing at all. I expected you to stay out all night.” Bast picked up the clothes Spencer had been too tired to worry about the night before. He’d left them in a crumpled heap on a dark-blue slipper chair, and now he felt like he owed someone an apology for being untidy.
Evasively, he said, “Did you?”
Bastian held up the hoodie and gave it a sniff. “Is that peanut butter?”
Bast gave him a sideways glance. “I’m not asking why you have peanut butter on your clothes. I don’t even want to know.”
“Have you ever had something called an Abba-Zaba?”
“Lalalala.” Bast slapped his hands over his ears. “I don’t want to know about your kinky—”
Tick ignored Bast. “It’s a candy bar. Taffy and peanut butter?”
“Right. They’re good. Next time you’re at the store, I’d like you to get me some. Will you?” – Hell On Wheels
Nash is the reliable one in the Holly family, the guy everyone counts on to keep things going. His genius twin brother is off at university, so Nash runs the family’s auto repair business and cares for his partially-paralyzed little sister while his crackpot father invents. His life seems mapped out for the foreseeable future, however much that might chafe.
So when Wolf’s Landing actor Spencer Kepler-Constantine lands in his life, Nash is ready for a diversion. Spencer is in the middle of a very painful, very public divorce and isn’t ready for a relationship—not that Nash wants one. But they both need a friend, especially one with benefits.
As they grow closer, Nash starts to see his family in a whole new light. Do they really need him so badly? Or does he simply need to be needed? Then Spencer’s ex reappears with a grand romantic gesture, and Nash has to figure out what he wants—and how to get it—before Spencer’s gone for good.
Z. A. Maxfield started writing in 2007 on a dare from her children and never looked back. Pathologically disorganized, and perennially optimistic, she writes as much as she can, reads as much as she dares, and enjoys her time with family and friends. Three things reverberate throughout all her stories: Unconditional love, redemption, and the belief that miracles happen when we least expect them.
If anyone asks her how a wife and mother of four can find time for a writing career, she’ll answer, “It’s amazing what you can accomplish if you give up housework.”
Readers can visit ZAM at her website, Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr.
A happy hello and many thanks to <b>Joyfully Jay</b> for inviting me to be here today to share my latest book release, <i><b>Hell On Wheels</b></i>.
My Blog Tour giveaway plan is as follows:
1. Comment here for the chance to win an ebook. My assistant William will randomly pick a commenter from each blog I visit, and that person will win an ebook of their choice from my backlist.
2. For the Hell On Wheels Tour Rafflecopter giveaway, I will be awarding one lucky reader with a 25.00 gift certificate for Amazon. The giveaway will conclude at midnight on December 8th, 2014 at which time we’ll choose a winner.
3. There are many ways to enter, and some can be done more than once. Give yourself lots of chances to win by following along the blog and commenting.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.
I LOVE me some ZAM books!! Please count me in.
I’ve read the St. Nacho’s series and would love to read some of ZAM’s other books. Please include me.
I read this book right away and really loved it.
Thanks for the excerpt and contests! Hell on Wheels sounds great – have it on my TBR list.
Beautiful cover! Thank you for the chance at this giveaway!
Please count me in, I love everything from ZAM that I’ve read so far.
Ohhh Pick me pick me!!
Oh Yeah! I really want to read this one!
Great excerpt. And I really like the cover. I do want to read this book. count me in.
Thanks for the excerpt. Please count me in too.
Great post & giveaway!
Love the cover,; the book sounds great too! Thanks for the chance to win a copy!
Great cover and excerpt.Thank you for sharing ^^
Great excerpt! Looking forward to reading this!
I love ZAM’s work, but I think I’m missing something here. What in the world is Team Speeter & Team Spash? Did I miss one of her books? I can’t exactly vote if I don’t know what I’m voting for.
Please count me in. Thanks.
Love all the ZAM books I’ve read so far! Thanks for the chances at the giveaways!
Love your books. Count me in.
Having trouble commenting, but I’ll try again…please count me in!