Today I am so pleased to welcome Annabelle Jacobs to Joyfully Jay. Annabelle has come to share an exclusive excerpt from her latest release, The Altered 2 (Lycanaeris, #2). She has also brought along a backlist book to give away. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Sam growled as Keira’s laughter trailed behind her, and he gave chase.
They ran all the way back to the farmhouse. Sam hadn’t been paying much attention to those inside, too busy nipping at Keira as he loped past her. Everyone else was in the kitchen, and when the two of them burst through the door—Keira still laughing—the silence that met them stopped Sam in his tracks.
He glanced around the table, taking in the serious expressions, until his gaze landed on Ash.
“What the fuck happened?” Keira walked over to Charlie and slipped in beside him. “Well?” she tried again when no one seemed willing to answer.
Sam was glad she was doing the talking because he was desperate to know why Ash appeared to be sitting apart from the others. Charlie sat next to Matt on one side, now with Keira in between them, and Jordan had Daniel tucked into his side opposite them.
Ash sat at the far end of the table, with his chair pushed back a little. Sam padded over to him and rested his head in Ash’s lap.
“Hey.” Ash smiled as he looked down, but it was tentative and didn’t make Ash’s eyes crinkle like his smiles for Sam usually did. Ash slid his fingers through the fur on the back of Sam’s neck, and Sam felt the slight tremble in Ash’s hand.
He lifted his head, scenting the air around them, and the faint trace of salt on Ash’s skin made his hackles rise.
Ash had been crying.
Sam angled his body so he shielded as much of Ash as possible and turned to face the others around the table. He growled, the sound building slowly from his chest until he let it out through bared teeth.
A remote farmhouse in Cornwall seems the perfect place for Ash to settle into his recently altered status. Starting a new life there with Sam—the shifter he can’t stay away from—should be easy this far from London where they faced so much danger. So why does adjusting seem impossible?
Sam has issues of his own. He has to get used to his human form again after living the last eight years as a wolf. It’s hard when human worries weigh so heavily on his shoulders. Life is much more straightforward from a wolf’s perspective, until Ash needs his human support.
Ash’s problem is simple: he’s fearful of shifting fully. How can he believe he won’t hurt Sam when his genes were altered to create a killer? Despite repeated reassurance, his anger and resentment increase. Only one thing is certain: if Ash can’t learn to trust himself soon, he’s in danger of proving himself right.
Annabelle Jacobs lives in the South West of England with her husband, three rowdy children, and two cats.
An avid reader of fantasy herself for many years, Annabelle now spends her days writing her own stories. They’re usually either fantasy or paranormal fiction, because she loves building worlds filled with magical creatures, and creating stories full of action and adventure. Her characters may have a tough time of it—fighting enemies and adversity—but they always find love in the end.
Annabelle has brought a copy of any book from her backlist to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Monday, June 1st at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.