Today I am so pleased to welcome Lisa Henry and Heidi Belleau to Joyfully Jay. Lisa and Heidi has come to talk to us about their latest release, Tin Man, from the Bliss universe. They have also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving Lisa and Heidi a big welcome!
Hi! Welcome to Lisa Henry and Heidi Belleau’s blog tour for our new release, Tin Man. We’re visiting some of our favourite blogs around the place to talk a bit about writing Tin Man, and sharing some of our influences, our ideas, and even an excerpt or two! Don’t forget to leave a comment, for your chance to win prizes!
When we set out to write Tin Man, we decided we wanted to write an enemies-to-lovers story. The dystopian world of Tophet is the perfect setting for such a story. But we also decided that we didn’t really want this story to be a romance.
It’s a love story, we think, but not a romance.
Have we lost you yet? There’s no seduction in Tin Man. There’s no getting to know each other. There are no moments of sweetness. Soren and Ace are two guys on different sides of the law. They’re two guys who, when they meet, one of them should end up dead. But there’s an attraction between them that very quickly becomes elicit contact, which then becomes understanding, which then becomes respect and maybe, right at the end, if not love then at least a solid platform to build it on.
There’s no romance. Tophet’s not a world for romance. It’s a world where the unemployed, including kids, are starving in the streets. It’s a world where there’s no difference between criminality and poverty, and both are punishable by summary execution. It’s a world where you’re either wearing a jackboot, or getting crushed underneath one, and those are your only choices. It’s an unforgiving world, and perhaps it’s an unforgiving story as well, but we enjoy writing the sorts of stories where every glimmer of hope is hard-won. There may be no rose petals or slow dances in the world we’ve given Soren and Ace, but we think there’s something even more beautiful to watch: courage.
Soren and Ace are enemies. They have no reason to trust one another, and plenty of reasons to fear one another, but they risk it anyway. And we think that’s the definition of a love story.
Petty thief Ashoka “Ace” King knows better than to get in the way of Tophet’s Anti-Terrorist Unit. Rightfully feared in Tophet’s crime-ridden underbelly, a face-to-face encounter with an ATU is almost certainly a death sentence. But Ace has never been one to follow the rules.
Soren Lau might be an ATU rookie, but he’s not naive enough to believe everything his superiors tell him. Then again, he’s not stupid enough to disobey them, either. If he doesn’t shoot and kill as ordered, he might be next on their list.
But when Soren meets Ace, a moment’s hesitation is all it takes to put both their lives on the line. They don’t know each other, they don’t trust each other, and there’s no way in hell they can both walk away from this alive. But with suspicion and mortal danger mounting against both of them—and the forbidden attraction blazing between them—there’s nothing they can do but try.
Tin Man is out on July 20. You can order it now at Riptide.
Lisa likes to tell stories, mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters.
Lisa lives in tropical North Queensland, Australia. She doesn’t know why, because she hates the heat, but she suspects she’s too lazy to move. She spends half her time slaving away as a government minion, and the other half plotting her escape.
She attended university at sixteen, not because she was a child prodigy or anything, but because of a mix-up between international school systems early in life. She studied History and English, neither of them very thoroughly.
She shares her house with too many cats, a green tree frog that swims in the toilet, and as many possums as can break in every night. This is not how she imagined life as a grown-up.
Connect with Lisa:
Heidi Belleau was born and raised in small town New Brunswick, Canada. She now lives in the rugged oil-patch frontier of Northern BC with her husband, an Irish ex-pat whose long work hours in the trades leave her plenty of quiet time to write.
She has a degree in history from Simon Fraser University with a concentration in British and Irish studies; much of her work centred on popular culture, oral folklore, and sexuality, but she was known to perplex her professors with unironic papers on the historical roots of modern romance novel tropes. (Ask her about Highlanders!)
When not writing, you might catch her trying to explain British television to her newborn daughter or standing in line at the local coffee shop, waiting on her caramel macchiato.
Connect with Heidi:
- Blog: www.heidibelleau.com
- Twitter: @HeidiBelleau
- Goodreads: goodreads.com/heidibelleau
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each comment on this blog tour enters you for a chance to win a $20 Riptide credit and an ecopy of Bliss, the first book set in this universe. Entries close July 25, and contest is not restricted to US residents. Remember to leave your email address in the comments so we can contact you if you win!
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.