Today I am so pleased to welcome Kim Fielding to Joyfully Jay. Kim is here as part of the GRL Blog Tour to talk to us about her latest release, Rattlesnake. She has also brought along some goodies to give away! Please join me in giving Kim a big welcome!
Hi! I’m Kim Fielding and I’m so happy to be visiting today with Joyfully Jay and all of you!
I have a confession to make: I love some of my children more than others. Now, I’m not talking about my daughters. I love them equally—the quirky, temperamental 7th grader and the quieter 11th grader who’s so much like me.
I mean my imaginary children. My characters.
But of course I am particularly enamored of the protagonists, those guys who have to suffer through all the trials I hand out until I allow them a happy ending. They feel very real to me, so much so that I’m guilt-ridden when I do terrible things to them (I’m sorry, Jack!) and I miss them when the story’s over.
But although I love every one of my guys, I love some best. I don’t know why. They’re not my funniest men or my most handsome; they’re not the most accomplished or the most noble either. They tend to be the characters who’ve been kicked around the most by life and who need love the most fiercely. So when they do get their HEA, it’s a special triumph.
The two protagonists in Rattlesnake, my newest novel, have found their way to my favorites list. Jimmy Dorsett is in his forties, a lifelong drifter who’s never mattered to anyone and who simply picks up and leaves whenever things get too difficult. He doesn’t always tell the truth—especially to himself. He’s a good man, though, and God, he needs someone, somewhere, far more than he realizes. Shane Little, on the other hand, has a large and loving family. He’s never traveled far from his little hometown in the Sierra foothills. He loved being a cowboy until a terrible accident broke his body, wounded his mind, and changed his prospects forever. He’s proud and stubborn and, deep inside, a natural optimist.
How could I not fall for these guys?
One of the most fulfilling things to me as a writer is when my readers end up deeply in love with my favorite characters too. I hope you’ll give Rattlesnake a try and that you’ll end up as head-over-heels as I am.
As a reader, do you fall especially hard for certain characters? Why them in particular, do you think? Comment below with your answers. We
’ll randomly choose one commenter to win an e-copy of my novel Astounding! and a $10 Dreamspinner gift certificate.
Rattlesnake is available now from Dreamspinner Press.
A drifter since his teens, Jimmy Dorsett has no home and no hope. What he does have is a duffel bag, a lot of stories, and a junker car. Then one cold desert night he picks up a hitchhiker and ends up with something more: a letter from a dying man to the son he hasn’t seen in years.
On a quest to deliver the letter, Jimmy travels to Rattlesnake, a small town nestled in the foothills of the California Sierras. The centerpiece of the town is the Rattlesnake Inn, where the bartender is handsome former cowboy Shane Little. Sparks fly, and when Jimmy’s car gives up the ghost, Shane gets him a job as handyman at the inn.
Both within the community of Rattlesnake and in Shane’s arms, Jimmy finds an unaccustomed peace. But it can’t be a lasting thing. The open road continues to call, and surely Shane—a strong, proud man with a painful past and a difficult present—deserves better than a lying vagabond who can’t stay put for long.
Find out more about Kim Fielding and her books and download some free reads at http://kfieldingwrites.com
You can also follow her on FB: http://facebook.com/KFieldingWrites
And Twitter: @KFieldingWrites
Kim has brought a copy of Astounding! and a $10 Dreamspinner gift certificate to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Friday, September 11th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.