Today I am so pleased to welcome Lane Hayes back to Joyfully Jay. Lane has come to share an exclusive excerpt from her latest release, Better Than Safe. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving Lane a big welcome!
Seth’s smile was sweetly earnest. I returned it, though I was aware my expression was a little sappy. I couldn’t help it. Vodka was partially responsible, but the truth was he intrigued me. And surprised me. I was struck by the same stab of longing I’d felt a few hours ago when he was on stage with his band. It was more dangerous now because we were alone and I had his undivided attention. I swallowed hard and raised my glass to my mouth.
His cocked his head and furrowed his brow thoughtfully.
“What is it?” My voice sounded hoarse, like it belonged to someone else.
Seth brushed his hair behind his ear and gave me a lopsided grin. “Nothing. Look, not that it matters maybe but… the reason I was late for coffee was—I was in my studio and I lost track of time. I just…. If you wanted to go to a museum or get coffee in DC or whatever, I wouldn’t be late again. That’s all.”
I stared at him for a long moment unsure how to respond. His extension of the apology he’d offered earlier was just as awkward. But he sounded so damn sincere and he looked very fucking lovely sitting at the edge of a hotel bed with a drink resting on his knee. I was hopelessly charmed. I inclined my head and smiled.
“I’d like that. I wasn’t angry, by the way.” I chuckled at his wide-eyed look of comic disbelief before continuing. “Maybe I was. I assumed you were uninterested.”
His pointed gaze turned sultry. “I’m very interested.”
I felt my chest tighten as my heart fluttered like a caged bird desperate for escape. My palms were sweaty and though I was suddenly desperate for a drink, I was afraid my hand would shake and give me away. I couldn’t understand how a cocky, long-haired punk eight years my junior could possess such hypnotic sensuality. I swallowed nervously but held his stare, determined not to be thrown off guard by his divine body or gorgeous face.
“Uh… well, I have a meeting in the morning,” I said weakly.
Seth nodded and set his glass on the desk, then held out his right hand. I stared at it for a second before tentatively touching my fingers to his. He grinned like a madman and yanked me onto the bed, pulling me into his side with one arm around my waist. I laughed as I pushed at his chest, struggling to keep perspective. I was sitting in a hotel room after midnight, drinking vodka sodas with a ridiculously beautiful man. What was holding me back? He was interested and the bulge tenting my khakis made it difficult to deny I felt the same way.
“So what you’re saying is….” He reached out to trace my cheek with his thumb before setting it over my bottom lip, “…you’re not interested.”
I was as mesmerized by his rough husky tone as I was by the powerful haze of eroticism he emanated. I held my breath and waited to see what he’d do or say next. He leaned forward and ever so gently removed his thumb to place a gentle kiss on my lips. A whisper light touch, nothing more. But he didn’t pull away. He went completely still, as though silently suggesting it was up to me to make the next move. I closed my eyes and inhaled his musky, manly scent. It was a heady aphrodisiac. If I wasn’t careful I could devour him.
My eyes fluttered open at the feel of him smiling against my mouth. When he hummed and started to pull away, I pounced. I held his face between my hands, surprising him with a crushing kiss. There was no finesse, no gentle persuasion. This was a manic and fiery response to a pent-up yearning I was through holding inside. Fuck propriety and coherent thought. I wanted him and I wasn’t about to let him go if there was a remote chance he felt the same way.
Paul Fallon is a fashion advertising guru. He’s a genius at dealing with difficult editors, art directors, and designers alike. He thrives on the chaotic atmosphere and constant challenges. But in his personal life, he’s hoping for peace and stability. Settling down with a nice doctor or lawyer sounds perfect. Anyone but an artist. He’s been there, done that, and he doesn’t want to relive the heartache.
Seth Landau is a model, occasional guitarist, and aspiring painter. He’s quirky, flighty, and wise beyond his years. Life has taught him some tough lessons, then given him opportunities he never dreamed of. He’s learned to appreciate the fragility of life and to express it in his work. Seth’s flare for the absurd combined with a supple mind and a beautiful body are too alluring for Paul to ignore. Against his best intentions, Paul is drawn to the younger man whose particular brand of crazy challenges Paul to accept that things aren’t always as they seem. Sometimes taking a chance is better than being safe.
Lane Hayes is finally doing what she loves best. Writing! An avid reader from an early age, Lane has always been drawn to romance novels. She truly believes there is nothing more inspiring than a well-told love story with beautifully written characters. Lane discovered the M/M genre a fews ago and was instantly hooked. Her debut novel, Better Than Good, was a 2013 Rainbow Awards finalist. She loves travel, chocolate, and wine (in no particular order). Lane lives in Southern California with her amazing husband and their very old dog in an almost empty nest.
- Facebook: Lane Hayes https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008562883399&fref=ts
- Facebook Author Page: LaneHayesauthor
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/LaneHayes3
- Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7125719.Lane_Hayes
Lane has brought a $20 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Tuesday, October 13th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.