Today I am so pleased to welcome L.C. Chase to Joyfully Jay. L.C. has come to talk to us about her latest release, A Fortunate Blizzard. She has also brought along a great tour wide giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Be Somebody’s Hero
A Fortunate Blizzard by L.C. Chase
Research for this story hit in a way I hadn’t expected. One of the story’s main characters, Trevor, has kidney disease and is on dialysis while awaiting the transplant that could save his life. The heart of A Fortunate Blizzard is a love story, but while a work of fiction, there are realities that cannot be ignored.
I started by checking with a fellow critique partner who is in the medical profession to find out if the premise was even plausible. With an affirmative and a couple of links to start with, I put my google-fu to work. I spent a lot time on transplant, kidney, and blood websites. I watched youtube videos and documentaries from people living with the disease, people living full lives post-transplant, a man who’d come off dialysis after years of complications and a failed transplant, and others balancing athletic careers with their disease and dialysis. I visited discussion forums. I downloaded renal diet foods and recipes. But the more I researched, the more I learned, the more I worried.
Did you know…?
- More than 123,000 people in the United States are currently on the waiting list for a lifesaving organ transplant.
- Another name is added to the national transplant waiting list every 12 minutes.
- On average, 21 people die every day from the lack of available organs for transplant.
- Seven percent of people on the waiting list—more than 6,500 each year—die before they are able to receive a transplant.
- One deceased donor can save up to eight lives through organ donation and can save and enhance more than 100 lives through the lifesaving and healing gift of tissue donation.
- A healthy person can become a ‘living donor’ by donating a kidney, or a part of the liver, lung, intestine, blood or bone marrow. 1
My biggest fear was, and still is, getting it right. I have no doubt I’ve missed things, and that bothers me. But at the end of the day A Fortunate Blizzard is a story about not giving up hope, about living each day we have here on earth, about cherishing our loved ones, and focusing on the little things that matter most at the end of the day. It is about two men—one running out of time and the other wasting it—who find each other by random design but who have the power to save each other’s lives. It is about you and me.
Consider becoming someone’s hero, and register as an organ donor today. You could save a life. Please visit one of the organizations below for more information, or look for a center near you:
1: Source: American Transplant Foundation, Facts and Myths americantransplantfoundation.org/about-transplant/facts-and-myths
There are worse things than being stranded in a blizzard.
Artist Trevor Morrison has always appreciated the little things in life, treating each day as a gift. And with good reason: he’s been on the transplant-recipient list for too long now. When he learns just how numbered his days truly are, he resolves not to take them for granted. But he won’t be unrealistic, either—which means romantic commitments are off the table.
Marcus Roberts seems to have it all. He’s handsome, financially sound, and on the fast track to partnership at a prestigious law firm. In reality, though, his drive for success has meant no time for friends or relationships. Add in the fact that his family discarded him long ago, and he’s facing yet another holiday season alone.
When the biggest snowstorm to hit Colorado in decades leaves Marc and Trevor stranded at the same hotel, a chance encounter and a night of passion leads to more than either of them expected. Finding comfort in each other is a welcome surprise, but time is not on their side. Either they find a way to beat the odds, or they lose each other forever.
Cover artist by day, author by night, L.C. Chase is a hopeless romantic, free spirit, and adventure seeker who loves hitting the open road just to see where it takes her. After a decade of traveling three continents, she now calls the Canadian west coast home. When not writing sensual tales of beautiful men falling in love, she can be found designing book covers with said beautiful men, drawing, horseback riding, or hiking the trails with her goofy four-legged roommate.
L.C. is a two-time Lambda Literary Award finalist for Pickup Men and Pulling Leather; an EPIC eBook Awards winner for Pickup Men; an EPIC eBook Awards finalist for Let It Ride and Long Tall Drink; Bisexual Book Awards finalist for Let It Ride; and an Ariana eBook Cover Art Awards winner. She also received an honorable mention in the 2015 Rainbow Awards for Pulling Leather, and the 2012 Rainbow Awards for Riding with Heaven.
Visit L.C.’s website for the latest happenings at lcchase.com.
Your first comment at each stop on this tour enters you in the drawing for a $50 Esty gift certificate! Entries close at midnight, Eastern time, on November 7. Contest is NOT restricted to U.S. entries. Don’t forget to leave your email or method of contact so we can reach you if you win, and follow the tour for more opportunities to enter the giveaway!
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.