Today I am so pleased to welcome John H. Ames to Joyfully Jay. John has come to talk to us about his latest release, Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain. He has also brought along a tour wide giveaway. Please join me in giving John a big welcome!
What are my top ten favorite books? And why?
There are millions and millions of books out there and I highly doubt that anyone has read every single one of them. I love reading, but being an author has deprived me of my reading time. A high number of fans have asked me the same question a few times. Which is your favorite book and why? That is very interesting question, but I cannot find the right answer for you. I don’t have one favorite book. I have several. These are just the top ten:
1) The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling – I couldn’t pick one to be honest. Every single book in that series is so good that they inspired me to write Raven and Crow: a Chain of Memories. That will be my first non-GLBT novel and it’s a mash up between Twilight’s love story and Harry Potter’s magic with an amazing little twist. I will published this novel someday even if it’s free. So be on the look out guys.
2) Dumb Jock by Jeff Erno – This is my favorite GLBT novel of all time. Yes, they are so many out there, but this is the first novel that made me cry. Twice actually. This novel was so thrilling and inspiring that it led me to write my first GLBT novel, Surviving Elite High and its sequels, Surviving Elite High: Senior Year, Surviving Elite High: Loving James and two more sequels that I’m working on. The new ones will be set 20 years after the events of Senior Year. I really hope you like them guys.
3) Surviving Elite High by John H. Ames – I know, I know. I need to be a little more humble, but I absolutely love my first published novel even with its flaws. John Henry Ames is a gay sixteen-year-old boy who lives as an outcast in the shadows of an elite high school where he is tormented by two psychopathic bullies. When he befriends the school’s star quarterback and hero, Nick Anthony Hawking, their sincere friendship helps to bring out the best in each of them. Several tragedies, like a school shooting, threaten to change their young lives forever and scar them for life. That’s an exciting little novel if you ask me. Just wait until you read my latest work of fiction, Love, Joy, Heartache and Pain. Trust me, you’re in for an emotional roller coaster ride.
4) Something Like Summer by Jay Bell – Dear God! This novel is awesome! Mr. Jay Bell came up with one of the most amazing little pieces of literature ever. Something Like Summer is a love story spanning a decade long. Yes, a decade and beyond. These two boys discover what it’s meant to be friends, lovers, and even enemies. This is the second and last novel that made me cry. Two thumbs up for Mr. Bell!
5) Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley – I hate and love this novel so much. Why? Because of the ending. I still don’t know what to think about it. The author left several outcomes and you have to decide what the ending was for yourself. I just love this novel though. It’s so unique and precious. This novel tells the life of an abuse boy in the 1970’s and in the south where religion comes first. Yeah, poor kid. He had everything against him. Read and enjoy.
6) The Girl For Me by Failte – Oh. My. God. This is the first novel that I read dealing with the transgender topic and trust me, it does not disappoint. This novel is very funny, yet it deals with some very serious topics. The way Failte went about tackling this issues is outstanding, making it a must read.
7) Wes and Toren by J.M. Colail – This novel is the type of novel that you read when all you want to do is relax and enjoy life. With this one in your hands, you definitely will.
8) My Summer of Wes by Missy Welsh – This novel is just fabulous! Just like Wes and Toren, it’s very enjoyable to the eyes. This novel also tackles several subjects such bullying, love, coming out to the world and more. You’ll definitely love this one.
9) Outtakes of A Walking Mistake by Anthony Paull – Outstanding, amazing and seriously funny! Outtakes of a Walking Mistake is fresh, new and exciting. This is probably one of the funniest novels that I’ve ever read so far and I know for a fact that you’ll enjoy it too. Beware, you’ll laugh, cry and laugh some more.
10) A Better Place by Mark A. Roeder – This is the first GLBT novel that I read and it made me fall in love with the jock/nerd theme. This is a very sweet love story between two very different boys as they try to make their way through the rough road of life.
There you go guys! These are my favorite novels and the reasons why I love them. If you noticed, nine of them are by GLBT authors. You may agree or disagree with me and that’s perfectly fine. The most beautiful thing about life is that we’re all entitled to our own opinions. What are your favorites novels? Please let me know! You can stalk me at https://johnhenryamesbooks.wordpress.com/ or email me at email@example.com.[hr color=none]
A collection of new entwined stories by best-selling Young Adult author, John H. Ames. Love that reaches beyond the boundaries of the physical realm…
The not so unrealistic detailed account of how my best friend and I swapped bodies for a short period of time. High school is one of the most excruciating and painful periods of any teenager’s life. To Kyle, it’s hell on earth. Being the target of the jocks made him hate high school more than anything in the world. All he has is his best friend and the center of the jock’s interest, the beautiful Kylie Bursnell. But Kylie is not your typical beauty. She hates the jocks even more than Kyle, especially Lucas Edward Johnson, a jock who is madly in love with her and Kyle’s forbidden dream. After a bizarre and freaky night, they swap bodies and are force to live each other’s live. Can this actually be true? Has Kyle’s dream come true? Will he be able to love Lucas Edward Johnson unconditionally until the end of time? Or is their love nothing but a beautiful dream enveloped in heartache and pain?
The Spirit Indestructible
Brandon Angelo William has it all. He’s hot, popular, shy, humble, and one of the typical and regular guys in high school. But, unbeknownst to everyone, he’s a closeted gay teen who came out to his parents the previous year. They loved and accepted him with open arms so what more could Brandon want? Love. The one thing that his soul and body need. After a late night out with his best friend, Kevin, Brad sees one of the most beautiful guys he has ever laid eyes on. But could the teen in front of him be real? Or is he the legendary hitching ghost that everyone talks about? Brad needs to find out and what he discovers shocks him and changes his young life forever…
The Lake View Psychopath
Jocks beware, he’s here and he’s not scared. Ashton Hall hates his existence at Lake View High. The jocks have made his life a living hell and his friends have completely turned their backs on him. Why? For being gay and dating the love of his life, Austin Young. Almost overnight, they became the center of every joke and every bully’s paradise. To make matters worse, even the school’s coach allows his ‘jock superstars’ to make fun of them.
But everything the night Austin Young is brutally murdered by the jocks and they walk free. Something snaps inside Ashton’s head and the only think he can think of is revenge. Will Ashton come to his sense and let Austin go? Or will he become one of the greatest serial killers of all time?[hr color=none]
Juan H. Alvarado was born in El Salvador C.A. He currently lives in Belize and began writing in 2008. He posted some of his work on an internet website, and after receiving positive feedback, he completed several full-length novels under his pen name, John Henry Ames. His first completed novel is Surviving Elite High. The story chronicles the life of a gay sixteen-year-old boy as he makes his way through life as an outcast in the shadows of an elite high school where he is tormented by two psychopathic bullies. His passions are writing, reading and spending time with the ones he loves.
John has brought a $15 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader on his tour. Just follow the Rafflecopter form below to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.