Today I am so pleased to welcome Kevin Caucher to Joyfully Jay. Kevin has come to talk to us about his latest release, Lime and Tangerine. He has also brought along a giveaway! Please join me in giving Kevin a big welcome!
Inspirations for Writing
Thank you for hosting me!
In this guest post I’m going to share some of the media or forms for inspiration when I get stuck in writer’s block, besides chewing on carrots.
My earliest inspiration for writings came from the saved text messages between friends. It was mostly teenagers’ discussion of angst and coming of age topics. It wasn’t anything serious and now I read those messages again I feel so naive and stupid. However, it did started my writing in general, and when I’m writing on coming-of-age stories, I always refer back to those text messages.
Another would be Anni Baobei, or Annie Babe, a Chinese novelist. In an interview I talked about how she has continued to inspire me, from junior high school till this day. Her writings have grown over the years and I, as a reader, have grown as well, and in turn, my writings have gotten better.
Music has and will always inspire me, both the tunes and lyrics. I’m always amazed at the level of story-telling in good lyricist works, and I just want to mention Lin Xi, or Albert Leung, a Hong Kong lyricist. In more recent years, I have immersed myself in tunes, rather than lyrics, and tried to find stories in them.
Meditation and freewriting, are also good ways to get inspiration, or just get out of writer’s block. One of my short stories came strictly from the freewriting. The key was to find a common thread within the freewriting.
I’m sure there are a lot more ways to get inspirations, and what I’ve shared is just the most common ones.
The post-apocalyptic world has changed. Colors have changed.
The skies are now red, and the seas fandango pink.
There are those who’ve acquired skills as “squinters”. By narrowing their eyes, they can see people in different colors—colors by which they can define their mood.
Senlin was born a squinter. A child of the foster system, the lack of love has left him with casual views on sex.
When Sicong recruits him into SQX, a squinter organization, Senlin wants nothing more than to jump his bones, but Sicong’s detachment makes Senlin believe his feelings aren’t reciprocated.
Senlin and Sicong’s relationship begins to grow as they undertake missions together.
That is, until an enemy of SQX turns his attention upon them.
- WIP: http://www.waywardinkpublishing.com/product/lime-and-tangerine-by-kevin-caucher/
- Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EB1AHI8/
- Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EB1AHI8/
- Amazon AU: http://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01EB1AHI8/
- Amazon DE: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01EB1AHI8/
- ARe: https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-limeandtangerine-2024618-145.html
Growing up in China, Kevin Caucher never thought he’d grow up loving to write; never did he expect himself ending up in Australia either. He is now happily partnered in NSW Illawarra area and writing.
Kevin’s writing is mainly influenced by his growing up as a gay Chinese; he also sometimes pops out totally random stories that has nothing to do with his growing up.
Besides his passion for writing, Kevin has also opened a cafe in December 2015. “There, the cliché of authors writing in a cafe.”
Kevin can be found at:
Kevin has brought two $2.99 WIP gift cards to give away. Just follow the Rafflecopter below to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.