Today I am so pleased to welcome R.D. Hero to Joyfully Jay. R.D. has come to talk to us about her latest release, Wet Heat. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
What was the inspiration for this book?
…sorry, I had to do that.
See, in A/B/O shifter fic, there are “omegas”–and depending on the universe, these omegas are usually the ones who get pregnant. More often than not, they all go into heat, which is a omega’s “time of the month,” and also when they go crazy with the need to mate.
And one day, I idly thought: do older omegas go into heat? Does it last forever? That seems a little exhausting. Shouldn’t there be an age when they stop developing uncontrollable lust for a week every month? Then it hit me.
Werewolf menopause. What happens after? What happens if the omega isn’t quite ready to give up that heady rush of attracting an alpha through scent?
This led to further questions. Shifter fic, and mates, rely on the idea of true love forever. There’s a finality to the mating mark…they’re permanently scarring their skin, after all. I enjoy that side of the fantasy as much as anyone, but it did leave me wondering if shifters ever hit a lull in their relationships. Do they ever get bored of the sex? Does the spark fade? Or is the flame powered eternally with magic?
So came the idea: Wet Heat. A synthetic pheromone. Lee came second, as the answer to “Who would use Wet Heat?”
I have a serious thing for older party boys, manipulative men who act submissive while keeping their younger studs wrapped around their fingers. This fit well with Lee, who used Wet Heat to attract younger alphas. And then of course, I realized Lee was definitely not using Wet Heat for its intended purpose. So what was its intended purpose?
When all these questions were answered, and I had a working outline for Wet Heat.
Most omega werewolves want a mate and pups, but Lee Aung prefers an unconventional party-boy lifestyle. Yet at forty-two, he’s stopped going into heat, which means he’s expired goods—no longer a fertile, young omega that alpha wolves drool over. So Lee uses Wet Heat, a synthetic pheromone, to reel in the alpha hookups.
After losing his job at the bank, Lee can’t afford to keep up his Wet Heat habit. His solution: scam free samples by pretending to be a happily mated test subject at Wet Heat headquarters. There, Lee spends two years being interviewed by the reserved alpha scientist, Cain, who at thirty-two is unmated and—up until this point—content with that.
Cain never really felt his alpha instincts, nor took part in the usual alpha/beta/omega social dynamics. But after discovering that Lee has been lying about his unmated status for two years, Cain finally admits that for the first time, he wants to court an omega. Unfortunately, he’s picked the one omega who doesn’t want to be courted.
R.D. Hero bombed out of art school. After that, she admitted writing might be the best course of action, and hopped to it. She likes writing about people who shouldn’t fall in love, which she’s been doing for about eight years. Starting with online serial fiction, R.D. developed her favorite tropes and dynamics, writing what she wanted to read.
Aside from that, she loves spicy food, boxer dogs, camping, and photography.
To celebrate the release of Wet Heat, R. D. is giving away $15 in Riptide Publishing credit. Leave a comment with your contact info to enter the contest. Entries close at midnight, Eastern time, on June 25, 2016. Contest is NOT restricted to U.S. entries. Thanks for following the tour, and don’t forget to leave your contact info!
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.