Today I am so pleased to welcome Jordan L. Hawk to Joyfully Jay. Jordan has come to talk to us about her latest release, Fallow (which I reviewed here and loved). She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving Jordan a big welcome!
Ah, falling in love! The inability to think of anything else, the painful awareness of a lover’s presence—or absence—the first fight that might spell doom for a budding relationship. The sheer drama of it all! No wonder romance as a genre has concentrated on the experience of falling in love, before shuffling the new couple off stage to a well-deserved happily ever after.
The appeal is unmistakable, for both readers and writers. The sheer heady rush of falling in love is thrilling in real life and on the page. The inevitable missteps and miscommunications provide ready-made tension for the writer in search of a plot.
And yet, I’ve found writing established couples past the first rush of hormones to be extremely fulfilling. One of the truly gratifying things about writing the Whyborne & Griffin series has been the opportunity to explore what comes next.
No relationship is smooth sailing all the time, and seeing how two committed characters make things work despite everything is a scenario I find deeply romantic. A good relationship is never static—it can’t be, because we as humans are always changing. The trick is to grow together rather than grow apart.
In Fallow, Whyborne and Griffin have been together for eight books—but that doesn’t mean they aren’t facing life-altering circumstances. Whyborne is grappling with new realizations about himself, something he’s genuinely afraid to share with the ones he loves most. Griffin might not love him anymore—and even worse, perhaps Griffin shouldn’t love him anymore. At the same time, Griffin is forced to deal with a family crisis, which is never easy even if there aren’t monsters involved.
It’s the solid foundation of their love, built up over the course of the previous books, that lets them navigate these challenges as a team and ultimately survive them. They, and their friends Christine and Iskander, grow together, not apart.
And that’s a wonderful journey to take.
When Griffin’s past collides with his present, will it cost the lives of everyone he loves?
Between the threat of a world-ending invasion from the Outside and unwelcome revelations about his own nature, Percival Endicott Whyborne is under a great deal of strain. His husband, Griffin Flaherty, wants to help—but how can he, when Whyborne won’t tell him what’s wrong?
When a man from Griffin’s past murders a sorcerer, the situation grows even more dire. Once a simple farmer from Griffin’s hometown of Fallow, the assassin now bears a terrifying magical corruption, one whose nature even Whyborne can’t explain.
To keep Griffin’s estranged mother safe, they must travel to a dying town in Kansas. But as drought withers the crops of Fallow, a sinister cult sinks its roots deep into the arid soil. And if the cult’s foul harvest isn’t stopped in time, Fallow will be only the first city to fall.
Jordan L. Hawk grew up in North Carolina and forgot to ever leave. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave her a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When she isn’t writing, she brews her own beer and tries to keep her cats from destroying the house. Her best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with <em>Widdershins</em>) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook at Amazon and other online retailers.
Jordan has brought a copy of the Widdershins audiobook (the first book in the Whyborne & Griffin series) to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends Thursday, August 18th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.