Today I am so pleased to welcome DJ Jamison to Joyfully Jay. DJ has come to talk to us about her latest release, Chance For Christmas. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
My new book, “Chance for Christmas,” is all about second chances. It’s about a second chance for love, but also a second chance to find acceptance, family and success.
The two main characters, Chance and Joe, met eight years ago under less than happy circumstances. Chance was an emotionally wrecked 18-year-old who had just been humiliated with a sext that went viral. Joe was a young prosecutor working on a case against the boy who betrayed Chance. Despite the admiration they had for each other, it was the wrong time and situation for love.
When Chance visits town for the holidays and they reconnect, these two get a second chance at love, but of course, it’s not so simple. They both have to adjust to the changes in each other, as well as deal with the ugly that past that Chance wants to forget but which also brought them together.
Below, I’m sharing an excerpt in which Chance begins to realize the contrasts in who Joe was to him eight years ago, and who is becoming to him now.
While the story is connected to my series, Ashe Sentinel Connections, it tells the love story of two new characters and can be read as a standalone.
There was something special about a first kiss with someone, and Chance felt it all: The wild fluttering in his stomach, the heart pounding in his chest, the adrenaline shooting through his system from the edge of fear at taking that plunge with a new person.
Their lips brushed together once lightly and parted, before Chance shifted forward and pushed more confidently into the kiss. He leaned forward on his knees, letting Joe’s strong body support his weight as he pressed up against him.
Joe’s hands caressed his back, and in some region of his mind separate from the kiss, Chance realized they were trembling. There was something about that juxtaposition of strong and fragile that intrigued Chance.
When he first met Joe Stewart, he was the calm voice in a sea of madness for Chance. He was strong, confident and compassionate. Chance had spent countless hours in his office, talking with him about his feelings, treating Joe not just as a prosecutor on his case, but a grief counselor. He could see now that he spent far more time with Joe Stewart than what must be typical.
He’d needed someone to lean on, and Joe had been there for him.
The Joe Stewart he met tonight was different. He was not a perfect man, but one who had his own fears and insecurities. Joe was far more tentative outside of his role as a prosecutor. He was awkward and flustered with Chance, which he found terribly endearing, and vulnerable in ways Chance had never expected but which drew him to Joe even more.
He was no longer a hero figure in Chance’s dated memories, but a real man in all its complexities.
Chance cupped Joe’s jaw with a hand, feeling rough stubble against his palm, and smiled against his lips.
Chance Rasmussen returns to Ashe, Kansas, eight years after his high school crush humiliated him with a sext that went viral. He’s low on holiday spirit with his personal ghost of Christmas past haunting him, but when his BFF asks him to attend a party as her fake date, he reluctantly agrees. The last person he expects to see there is Joe Stewart, the compassionate prosecutor he hero-worshipped during the lowest point of his life.
Joe Stewart is a great prosecutor, but when it comes to romance he’s out of his depth. He came close to love once, but the timing and circumstances were all wrong, so Joe ignored his feelings and threw himself into his work. But when two of his friends drag him to The Ashe Sentinel holiday party, placing him directly in the path of the man he let walk away, Joe realizes he’s been granted a second chance.
The spark of attraction is still there, but Chance isn’t planning to stay in Ashe past the holidays and the spectre of his past still looms large between them. Can they find a way to build a future together or will Joe only have Chance for Christmas?
DJ Jamison is the author of the m/m romance series Ashe Sentinel Connections. She worked in the newspaper industry for more than a decade before becoming a freelance blogger and social media marketer. She’s married with two sons and four glow-in-the-dark fish that are miraculously still alive. DJ loves connecting with readers, especially through Facebook. You can join her group at DJ and Company.
DJ has brought a $10 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Saturday, December 17th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.