Today I am so pleased to welcome Keira Andrews to Joyfully Jay. Keira has come to talk to us about her latest release, The Next Competitor. She has also brought along a backlist book to give away. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Thanks so much to Jay for having me here today to talk about my new release. The Next Competitor is a rewrite of a YA novel I published in 2010, and I’m super excited to be republishing it! It’s been out of print and sitting neglected on my hard drive for a couple years, and I decided it was well past time that I give Alex and Matt the updated and expanded romance they deserve.
I always thought there was more potential in the story, and I’ve reworked the book extensively. Along with rewriting and editing the prose generally, I deepened Alex and Matt’s romance and added in on-page sex instead of fade to black. I also aged them up a few years and changed a few plot points.
One of the biggest things I needed to update was technology and skating details. When I wrote the book in 2009, my character of Alex struggled to master a single variety of quad jump. Back then, a man could win Worlds or Olympics without a quad. That has changed dramatically in the ensuing years. Now a skater needs at least one quad in the short program and two in the free skate. Preferably more. American Nathan Chen and Jin Boyang of China are currently pushing the quad envelope by going for four or more quads in their long programs, while Yuzuru Hanyu and Shoma Uno of Japan and current world champion Javier Fernandez of Spain are mixing multiple quads with artistry and other skating skills.
So I needed to update the figure skating details, and I also added modern technology (just about everyone has a smartphone now!), social media, and apps such as Uber. The story takes place in a nebulous, not-too-distant future, and although several real-life skaters are mentioned briefly, the characters and story are completely fictional. For example, when I conceived the character of Kenny Tanaka, it was long before Yuzuru Hanyu started training in Toronto. Any similarities to actual skaters are coincidental.
It was interesting to look back at my old story and see what had changed in men’s skating (see above re: quads) and what hadn’t (you still can’t win in the short program, but you sure can lose). I’m delighted to be bringing this book to the gay romance audience, and I hope you enjoy Alex and Matt’s journey of love and sacrifice.
If he risks his heart, can he keep his head in the game?
To win gold, figure skater Alex Grady must train harder than the competition morning, noon, and night. He’s obsessed with mastering another quadruple jump, and due to the lack of filter between his mouth and brain, doesn’t have a lot of friends. As for a boyfriend, forget it. So what if he’s still a virgin at twenty? The Olympics are only every four years—everything else can wait. Relationships are messy and complicated anyway, and he has zero room in his life for romance.
So it’s ridiculous when Alex finds himself checking out his boring new training mate Matt Savelli. Calm, collected “Captain Cardboard” is a nice guy, but even if Alex had time to date, Matt’s so not his type. Yet beneath Matt’s wholesome surface, there’s a dirty, sexy man who awakens a desire Alex has never experienced and can’t deny…
Note: This gay romance from Keira Andrews features opposites attracting, new adult angst, sexual discovery, and of course a happy ending.
After writing for years yet never really finding the right inspiration, Keira discovered her voice in gay romance, which has become a passion. She writes contemporary, historical, paranormal, and fantasy fiction, and—although she loves delicious angst along the way—Keira firmly believes in happy endings. For as Oscar Wilde once said, “The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means.”
- Website: http://www.keiraandrews.com
- Newsletter: http://bit.ly/2aQwHwi
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/keiraandrews
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/keira.andrews.author
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1366040.Keira_Andrews
- Amazon Author Page: http://author.to/KeiraAndrews
Keira has brought a backlist ebook to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Friday, December 9th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.