Today I am so pleased to welcome Brandon Witt to Joyfully Jay. Brandon has come to talk to us about his latest release, Vodka & Handcuffs. He has also brought along a backlist book to give away. Please join me in giving Brandon a big welcome!
I remember when I entered into massage school I thought it was going to be the easiest thing ever. You just rub people, right? Wrong! That certificate was harder than my bachelor degrees and my masters combined. There was cadaver lab and endless tests over every little bone, muscle, and disorder.
Writing novellas has been a similar experience. I thought, shorter story, easier to write. Wrong! Trying to balance a brief story with fully fleshing out characters isn’t a piece of cake.
Vodka & Handcuffs made that process even more challenging. The main love interest, who gets equal time to the MC, is Marlon Barton, an African-American police officer. The research on being cop alone was pages upon pages upon pages. Most of that research never made it into the story, which is typical for research, but helped me craft a believable police officer, at least I hope. Then, add to that, being an African-American cop, and there were a million things I could do incorrectly. Then add in being an African-American Gay cop. Good lord! All that meant was googling wouldn’t cut it. Through the magic of Facebook, I came in contact with Bryan, an African-American writer who was also a police officer. He was instrumental in shaping Marlon. In many ways, he completely altered the story I was going to tell. Bryan is the one who gave Marlon his heart. In my early planning, Marlon was the stereotypical tough guy, the cowboy wearing a star, the definition of perfect. The exact partner I felt Vahin would need. Through Bryan, I discovered Marlon’s insecurities, his fears, the battles that he faces. Strangely, or not so strangely, those flaws ended up being exactly what drew Vahin to Marlon and enabled them to see a future together so quickly.
Marlon stole the show for me in many, many ways. So much so that he ended up making cameo appearances in the next installments of Mary’s Boys. While you’ll fall in love with Vahin and daydream of taking the sexy bartender home with you, I’m betting it will Marlon who steals your heart.
Please join me at Open Skye Book Reviews for the next stop of the blog tour where we get more familiar with Hamburger Mary’s.
Blog Tour Schedule:
- April 19 – MM Good Book Reviews
- April 24 – Joyfully Jay
- April 25 – Open Skye Book Reviews
- April 26- The Novel Approach
- April 26 – Alpha Book Reviews
- April 27 – Love Bytes
- April 28 – Divine Magazine
- April 28 – My Fiction Nook
- May 1 – Two Chicks Obsessed
- May 8 – Boy Meets Boy
Vahin Arora, Hamburger Mary’s sexy bartender, plays the flirtatious role so well even his closest friends—his chosen family at Mary’s—don’t realize Vahin hasn’t had a hookup in months. Then Tall, Dark, and Handsome steps through the door, and Vahin’s libido races back to life.
Being a black cop on the Denver police force is no easy job—Marlon Barton can’t imagine adding being gay to the equation. And while Marlon loves his work as an officer, his life has taken a turn for the hellish because of his new partner, the nephew of a senator.
Fleeing his partner’s company one night, Marlon stumbles into Mary’s for the first time… and wakes up with a hangover in the bartender’s bed. The one-night stand heats up into a budding romance, but not without stress as Marlon’s partner’s actions threaten Vahin’s livelihood and Marlon’s future on the force. Can Vahin and Marlon face the challenges and hold on to the love, friendship, and family they’ve found?”
Brandon Witt’s outlook on life is greatly impacted by his first eighteen years of growing up gay in a small town in the Ozarks, as well as fifteen years as a counselor and special education teacher for students with severe emotional disabilities. Add to that his obsession with corgis and mermaids, then factor in an unhealthy love affair with cheeseburgers, and you realize that with all those issues, he’s got plenty to write about….
- Website: http://www.brandonwitt.com
- Author Facebook Page: http://bit.ly/2jxsfVu
- Dreamspinner Press: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/AuthorArcade/brandon-witt
- Brandon’s Patreon Support page: http://bit.ly/2j58PdQ
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/wittauthor
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Brandon-Witt/e/B008FV6Y4M/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1454952325&sr=8-1
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4896623.Brandon_Witt
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO5cFqYKyNyDCxExAonFPRA
Brandon has brought a copy of a backlist book to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Thursday, April 27th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.