Today I am so pleased to welcome S. Davidson to Joyfully Jay. Shelly has come to talk to share an exclusive excerpt from her release, The Ties That Bind. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
“Nice to see you show up today, Miss Jamison,” he said glancing over her paper. “And you managed to stay awake for the entire class. I’m impressed.”
“Yeah, well, I didn’t have anything else to do.” She shrugged.
“This report should be interesting. Your last one was, as well. I will say, your reports are, let’s say, different from any reports I’ve had in the fifteen years since I’ve been teaching this class. I’m still not quite sure I understand where you see the sexual undertones in ‘Horton Hears a Who’ but it did make for interesting reading.”
“Just trying to keep you awake, Mr. Dawson.”
“So,” He read the beginnings of the newest report. “A social commentary of the political underlying meanings behind ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show.’ I’m sure this one will be as superlative as all the rest.”
Flashback 1990’s – Rollerblades, bungee jumping, the laptop, cellular phones the size of bricks, and AIDS – the gay men’s cancer
This is a story about love, friendship, and family. It is a story about growing up, about trying to change the past and the realization that no matter how fast, or how far we run, that The Ties That Bind us as children, many times come back to haunt us as adults.
We become part of the life of a young counselor, Morgan, who specializes working with homeless, male hustlers. He seems like an angel from heaven to many. He cares deeply for every one of his boys and would literally die to save them from harm. He deprives himself of life’s basic needs in order to reach just one more, but why?
Morgan has his own agenda to work out, his own demons to exorcise. While avoiding his own past, he meets a particular young man, Greg, who is able to see through this well-crafted, public image. Greg sees Morgan’s pain and denial. It is in this discovery, this role reversal that Greg, a life-long hustler begins to heal himself. He helps Morgan come to terms with his own violent past. Greg becomes his strength, the knife to cut the rope and release the guilt Morgan has denied for years. Just as they both begin to heal, Greg discovers the truth.
The Ties That Bind can sometimes be very restricting but many times we find that The Ties That Bind can also provide our strength.
The Ties That Bind are necessary for the sustenance of life.
Trigger Warning: Some scenes may be too intense for some readers. Enter this story knowing tissues are a must.
Shelly always had a goal to get a book in print. Well, that goal has been met. Another coming June 1, 2017, and one more still in the works. Always finding writing to be a way to escape into another world, M/M fiction is her passion and causing her beautiful boys a bit of agony is just what she does. None of her characters are flawless and most are pretty damn messed up! But they always persist, always try to be the best men they can be and hopefully find a kindred spirit along the way.
Shelly is a mother, grandmother, and has a Bachelor’s in Social Services. Come on over to her Facebook page for current and upcoming release info. While she doesn’t post about what she’s having for dinner or what movie she’s watching, she will give you info on her writing when there is news to share. Just remember, no matter who you are or what beliefs you practice, love is love and we all deserve to love.
Shelly has brought a $20 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Thursday, May 25th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.