Today I am so pleased to welcome J.A. Rock to Joyfully Jay. J.A. has come to talk to us about the audio release of her book, Minotaur. She has also brought along some copies to give away. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Last year, I started narrating audiobooks, which has been fun beyond my wildest dreams. My mom used to read to my brother and sister and me when we were kids, and was the most amazing reader, so I grew up basically wanting to be her. I’d go down to the basement every day after school and practice doing different voices, movie monologues, impressions of Carole Pope from Rough Trade, etc., in the hopes that one day I could lock myself in a soundproofed closet for hours at a time and read books aloud.
And eventually my dream came true.
I narrate mostly under the name Jill Smith, but have a few things coming out this year under the name J.A. Rock, including…
My first ever experience narrating one of my own books!
Minotaur, a fantasy-adventure novel with some romantic elements, will be out in audio in about a week. When Riptide proposed the idea to me, I wasn’t sure how much I’d like it—I hate reading my own books after publication because I keep finding things I want to change and it’s too late—too late! But it turns out if I’m narrating my own work, I’m too self-conscious about my performance to get self-conscious about my writing. Mostly.
Narrating Minotaur was a chance to dig even deeper into characters I’d spent a lot of time with a few years ago and figure out how to capture the voices I’d been imagining when I wrote it. I ended up having a lot of fun!
To celebrate Minotaur’s release, I have three audio copies to give away. Just leave your contact info in your comment for a chance to win! I also have an audio excerpt from the book, which you can listen to below.
For more information on my audio work, visit www.jillsmithvoice.com
Know this: I am not a warrior. I am a disease.
When I was six, my parents died.
When I was sixteen, I was locked away in Rock Point Girls’ Home. Nobody wants to deal with a liar. An addict. A thief.
Nobody except Alle. She is pure, and she’s my friend in spite of all the rotten things I am.
There was once another girl like me—long ago. A cast-off daughter. A lying little beast who left a red stain across the land with her terrible magic. She’s imprisoned now in a maze high up on the cliffs. They say she’s half woman, half bull. They say she dines on human tributes and guards a vast treasure. They say she was born wicked.
But I know her better than the history books or stories do. She and I dream together. Our destinies are twisted up like vines.
Except I’m not going to turn out wicked like she is. I can save myself by destroying her. I’m going to break out of this place, and I’m going to enter the labyrinth and take her heart.
And once I’m redeemed, maybe Alle will love me.
J.A. Rock is the author of over twenty LGBTQ romance, suspense, and horror novels, as well as an occasional contributor to HuffPo Queer Voices. J.A.’s books have received Lambda Literary, INDIEFAB, and EPIC Award nominations, and The Subs Club received the 2016 National Leather Association-International Novel Award. 24/7 was named one of the best books of 2016 by Kirkus Reviews.
J.A. has brought 3 audio copies of Minotaur to give away to three lucky readers. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Friday, August 4th at 11:59 pm EST.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.