Today I am so pleased to welcome Annabeth Albert to Joyfully Jay. Annabeth has come to talk to us about her latest release, Level Up. She has also brought along a great tour wide giveaway. Please join me in giving Annabeth a big welcome!
How to date a Gamer or #Gaymer
Thank you so much for having me today! I’m celebrating the re-release of my novella LEVEL UP which is loosely connected to my #gaymer universe and was originally in the EXPOSED anthology with some other great authors. While this book stands alone, fans of the #gaymer series will see the gamer culture that pervaded the original series. Landon, our hero, got a brief mention in CONNECTION ERROR (and also another mention in OFF BASE ). He’s a genius physics professor and the book centers around his decision to pose nude for a charity calendar featuring rising stars in their professions. But what I really loved about this book and his relationship with Bailey, the photographer on his photoshoot, was the way in which Landon and Bailey bond over shared geeky interests.
Dating a gamer or geeky person can be a lot of fun, and it opens up some great date potential, several of which are explored in the book. Great geeky date ideas that work as well for committed relationships as brand new flings include:
- Arcade bars. Forget the arcades and pizza parlors of your childhood. The newest generation of arcades combine adult beverages, upscale bar food, and retro gaming consoles. We’ve got a couple locally, and they’re a ton of fun, even for non-gamers as you can talk while playing or stage a little friendly competition to break the ice/de-stress. My research has found these in most major cities!
- Tabletop Game Night. Break out the board games and some snacks! Fabulous as a double date with other couples, but also great for just the two of you and an evening in. My spouse and I love Magic the Gathering and make a point to play often. Want a more social gaming experience? Check out Friday Night Magic at game stores and other board/card game meet up events.
- Movie theaters that double as bars and restaurants. These are really fun and becoming more popular. It’s a great way to enjoy your favorite super hero franchise or the new Sci Fi action movie .
- Museums are always a great date choice, but think outside the box to smaller museums and exhibits. Things like history of Atari and stop motion movie making can be really interesting and lead to great conversation.
- Comic Cons and similar events. Not the best first date choice as it’s usually more of an all-day commitment, but these can be so much fun. Not the most on big crowds? Look for cons in smaller cities or smaller one-day events that may not have big stars but will have a more intimate feel.
- Take a class. Learn to cook appetizers for your next gaming party. Paint video game inspired paintings. Learn to program virtual robots. Look at offerings at museums too—they often have very diverse class offerings.
Whether or not you identify as a gamer, #gaymer, geek, nerd or just happen to love one, there’s a lot of fun things you can do! To see what fun Bailey and Landon have on their dates, be sure to check out LEVEL UP!
Landon can’t believe he’s let himself get roped into participating in a charity calendar, let alone one that features tastefully photographed nudes. The genius physicist is hardly model material and he’s dreading the nude part of the photoshoot. Amid his reluctance, the one bright spot is his emails back and forth with the photographer.
However, Bailey ends up being not quite what Landon expects, and their first meeting is decidedly awkward. Bailey’s persistent though, and gradually Landon warms to the burly photographer, and they discover they have a shared love of gamer culture.
A tentative friendship is born, but the road from friends to lovers isn’t easy. Landon’s battling past trauma and must decide how much of a risk he’s willing to take. A sexy connection may not be enough to keep them together unless both are willing to put their hearts on the line.
Approximately 40,000 words. Previously released as part of the EXPOSED anthology, and loosely linked to the #Gaymers universe, this friends-to-lovers, hurt/comfort story stands alone with a guaranteed happy ending. Contains a brief mention of a prior assault, but no on-screen violence or flashbacks.
Buy link: Amazon
Annabeth Albert grew up sneaking romance novels under the bed covers. Now, she devours all subgenres of romance out in the open—no flashlights required! When she’s not adding to her keeper shelf, she’s a multi-published Pacific Northwest romance writer. The #OutOfUniform series joins her critically acclaimed and fan-favorite LGBTQ romance #Gaymers, #PortlandHeat and #PerfectHarmony series. To find out what she’s working on next and other fun extras, check out her website: www.annabethalbert.com or connect with Annabeth on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Spotify! Also, be sure to sign up for her newsletter for free ficlets, bonus reads, and contests. The fan group, Annabeth’s Angels, on Facebook is also a great place for bonus content and exclusive contests.
Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. Annabeth loves finding happy endings for a variety of pairings and is a passionate gay rights supporter. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two active children.
Annabeth has brought a $20 Amazon Gift Card to give away to one lucky reader on her tour. Just follow the Rafflecopter below to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.