Today I am so pleased to welcome Cordelia Kingsbridge to Joyfully Jay. Cordelia has come to talk to us about her latest release, One-Eyed Royals, the latest in the Seven of Spades series (which Michelle is reviewing and loves). She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Levi and Dominic’s break-up at the end of Cash Plays was planned from the beginning, as the conclusion of the third book is intended to be the series’ emotional nadir. That being said, even though I knew what was coming, I found their final confrontation unexpectedly difficult to write.
Going into One-Eyed Royals, however, I was looking forward to casting Levi and Dominic as adversaries once again. Part of that stemmed from authorial schadenfreude – I make no secret of the fact that I love putting my characters in terrible situations and watching them squirm (though of course I always make sure they receive a proportional reward in the end). I was also excited to delve into the complex emotions that accompany a separated couple who are hurt by and angry with each other, yet still very much in love, and the effect that situation has on their relationship dynamic. After all, nobody knows how to hurt you better than the one who loves you most.
But above all, I was looking forward to the two best parts of writing a broken-up couple who will eventually reunite: break-up sex and make-up sex.
Without spoilers, I can confirm that you’ll find both in One-Eyed Royals, and they’re two of my favorite Levi/Dominic scenes ever. The heightened emotions that spring from such dramatic moments can make for some seriously intense passion!
While it may be difficult to read Levi and Dominic in such personal conflict with each other, one of the primary aims of this book is to show how a troubled relationship can be rebuilt to make it even stronger than it was before. And just in time – because if Levi and Dominic are going to survive what the final book has in store for them, they’ll need each other more than ever.
Spoiler Alert! The following blurb contains spoilers for Cash Plays, book three of Seven of Spades.
Shattered by their devastating breakup, Detective Levi Abrams and PI Dominic Russo find themselves at war right when they need each other most. While Dominic is trapped in a vicious cycle of addiction, Levi despairs of ever catching the Seven of Spades. The ruthless vigilante’s body count continues to climb, and it’s all Levi can do to keep up with the carnage.
When Levi’s and Dominic’s paths keep crossing in the investigation of a kidnapping ring with a taste for mutilation, it feels like history repeating itself. Thrown together by fate once again, they reluctantly join forces in their hunt for the mastermind behind the abductions.
But the Seven of Spades hates sharing the spotlight, and they have an ace in the hole: a new batch of victims with a special connection to Levi. Their murders send shockwaves through Las Vegas and change the rules of the game forever.
The Seven of Spades has upped the ante. If Levi and Dominic don’t play their cards right, they’ll end up losing everything.
Cordelia Kingsbridge has a master’s degree in social work from the University of Pittsburgh, but quickly discovered that direct practice in the field was not for her. Having written novels as a hobby throughout graduate school, she decided to turn her focus to writing as a full-time career. Now she explores her fascination with human behavior, motivation, and psychopathology through fiction. Her weaknesses include opposites-attract pairings and snarky banter.
Away from her desk, Cordelia is a fitness fanatic, and can be found strength training, cycling, and practicing Krav Maga. She lives in South Florida but spends most of her time indoors with the air conditioning on full blast!
Connect with Cordelia:
- Email: email@example.com
- Tumblr: http://ckingsbridge.tumblr.com
- Twitter: @c_kingsbridge
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cordelia.Kingsbridge/
To celebrate the release of One-Eyed Royals, Cordelia is giving away a $10 Riptide gift card! Leave a comment with your contact info to enter the contest. Entries close at midnight, Eastern time, on September 15, 2018. Contest is NOT restricted to U.S. entries. Thanks for following along, and don’t forget to leave your contact info!
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.