Today I am so pleased to welcome Layla Reyne to Joyfully Jay. Layla has come to talk to us about her latest release, A New Empire (which I reviewed here and loved). She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving Layla a big welcome!
Layla has brought some questions and answers to share about A New Empire!
What are the key challenges you faced when writing this particular book?
For me, it was pulling all of the threads together in this final book of the trilogy. The main storyline thread for this one was more intricate than any of my other series, and played a larger role in each of the preceding books, so bringing all of that together—while still injecting some new surprises—required a lot of reading back, index cards, and edits. Also, OMG, I want to write all the spin-offs!
What was the highlight of writing A New Empire?
Seeing it all come to fruition, pretty much exactly the way I envisioned it from the beginning. Hawes and Chris so lived up to the photo that inspired the series (thanks again, Patrick, Ryan, and Wander!) I’m so happy with the HEA that Hawes and Chris get in this book.
Are you working on anything at the moment that you would like to share with your readers?
Yes! In 2020, I have a new romantic suspense series launching with Carina that features a prickly forensic genealogist and a hot shot FBI agent who has been “hot for teacher” since Academy. Book 1 finds them going undercover, as a married couple, and the snark and sparks fly. Think “Bones” but gay and with more boxes of archives and less actual bones. Look for that first book in the spring/summer. I’ll also be doing some Fog City spin-offs, one of which is an f/f pairing, and I cannot wait!
So exactly how many plot ideas are just waiting to be written by you? Can you tell us about one?
When you read A NEW EMPIRE, you’ll notice more Whiskey Verse cameos. Be on the lookout for more cross-pollination as I’m plotting a blended series that will see Mel’s bounty hunter business expand with some familiar faces.
Legacies were made to be rewritten.
Assassin Hawes Madigan wants to do right–by his family, his organization, his city, and the man he’s falling for, ATF agent Christopher Perri. But Hawes’s rules are being challenged by someone willing to kill for the old ways. To save his soul and his empire, Hawes must make an impossible decision: fight from the outside or bend the knee to win back his throne from within.
Chris is used to being the inside man, the one undercover. Now, he’s on the outside marshaling forces in support of the man and the ring of assassins he was supposed to take down. His mission shifted when he found something that’s been missing for ten long years–a home, with Hawes.
As Hawes and Chris make a dangerous play for control, the lines between allies and traitors blur. Trusting the wrong person could destroy the legacy Hawes envisions for the Madigans. But not trusting anyone, or each other, could mean lights out on their love and lives forever.
The King and King Slayer fight together in this thrilling conclusion to the Fog City Trilogy!
RITA Finalist Layla Reyne is the author of Dine With Me and the Fog City, Whiskey Verse, and Changing Lanes series. A Carolina Tar Heel who now calls the San Francisco Bay Area home, Layla enjoys weaving her bi-coastal experiences into her stories, along with adrenaline-fueled suspense and heart-pounding romance. She is a RWA® RITA® Finalist in Contemporary Romance (Mid-Length) and Golden Heart® Finalist in Romantic Suspense.
Connect with Layla:
- FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/laylaslushes/
- FB: https://www.facebook.com/laylareyne
- IG: https://www.instagram.com/laylareyne/
- Newsletter: https://www.laylareyne.com/signup
- AMZ: https://www.amazon.com/author/LaylaReyne
- Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/layla-reyne
Layla is giving away a set of signed paperbacks of the Fog City series (books 1-3). Follow the Rafflecopter below to enter!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.