Today I am so pleased to welcome Alice Winters to Joyfully Jay. Alice has come to talk to us about her latest release, How to Vex a Vampire. She has also brought along copies to give away. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Thank you so much for having me! I’m here today to talk about my newest release, How to Vex a Vampire. This series is about Finn, a human who decides to leave his job as a homicide detective to join a vampire-only law enforcement unit where he is very unwelcome. His new grumpy partner Marcus is more interested in trying to scare him off or threatening to eat him. But the thing about Finn is that he’s charismatic and knows how to make everyone like him.
While this isn’t the first vampire book I’ve written, it’s the first one I’ve published. People who don’t normally read books with vampires in it should still enjoy it for the romance, humor, and action that all of my books have, but those who love PNR will still get something out of it that they’ll enjoy! This book has a great blend of serious scenes, especially when following the case they’re dealing with, but also fun comedy to help lighten what could be a dark case, like when Finn talks Marcus into taking him on a date, even though Marcus claims he’d never date a human. One thing all of my books have is fun dialogue. I absolutely love dialogue and could write it all day long.
Check out the snippet below:
“Do you realize how annoying you are?” Marcus asks.
I grin at him. “Because all of your attempts to freak me out or scare me off have failed?”
He leans forward and gives me a smile. “I’ll figure it out. Tell me, Finnigan, what are you afraid of?”
“Hmm…” I slide off my right glove and take a bite of my grilled cheese that is surprisingly normal. “Let’s see… worms, I guess.”
“Like just earthworms?”
“Yeah, they’re just so slimy and wiggly.” I shudder.
“I see. What else? Snakes?”
“No, I like snakes.”
“They’re like big worms.”
“That’s like saying you’re a big mosquito.”
He glares at me.
For a chance to win an ebook copy, comment below!
Take a moment to check out Finn and Marcus’s story. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Getting into the vampire-only detective unit was the easy part; what’s going to be more difficult is dealing with my new partner, an ancient vampire who keeps threatening to eat me. The unit has never had a human in it, and Marcus—or as I like to call him, Fangy McFangface—would really prefer to keep it that way. He’s grumpy, short-tempered, and broody, but I have a way with words and I know he’s starting to like me, even if he swears he’s not. But what he doesn’t know is that I didn’t join the unit because I was tired of being a homicide detective, I joined because there is someone after me. They’ve already taken enough from me and I’m afraid they’re going to take all of me if I don’t find someone to help. That’s all Marcus was supposed to be, but now, he’s so much more and I can’t imagine my life without him.
The moment the pesky human walked through that door, I knew I had to get rid of him. He’s charming and almost everyone else instantly loves him, but he doesn’t understand how risky it is being part of this unit as a human. But as I get to know the stubborn man, I learn that perhaps he’s not as naive as I once thought. And maybe he’s what I needed to realize there is more to life than just work and my dog. A group arises who is threatening to disrupt the alliance between the humans and the vampires, but Finn is the one who shows me how strong that alliance can be and reminds me why it’s worth protecting. When threats hit closer to home, I realize I would do anything for Finn because he’s brought so much joy to my life—and because he’s mine.
This 105k word book contains: A creative use for undergarments, unintentional splits, a wolfhound who just wants to be a part of things, a vertically challenged human who still manages to wrap every vampire he meets around his little finger, the best date ever, possessiveness, really awkward dancing, some workplace revenge, and just a bite or two. Or three.
Alice Winters started writing stories as soon as she was old enough to turn her ideas into written words. She loves writing a variety of things from romance and comedy to action. She also enjoys reading, horseback riding, and spending time with her pets.
Alice has brought two copies of How to Vex a Vampire to give away to two lucky readers. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Saturday, February 22 at 11:59 pm ET.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.