Today I am so pleased to welcome A.D. Ellis to Joyfully Jay. A.D. has come to talk to us about her latest release, Hearts Ablaze. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
A.D. has written some questions and answers to share with us today!
When did you know you wanted to write, and when did you discover that you were good at it? I was writing way back in high school, but I was doing news stories for the school paper. I didn’t realize I wanted to write until I challenged myself to write my first book back in 2013. That story was published in 2014 and I’ve never looked back. When did I discover I was good at it? I don’t know that I’ll ever accept or feel that I’m good at writing, but my readers love my stories as much as I do and I love what I’m doing, so I plan to keep doing it.
How would you describe your writing style/genre? My writing style is just me. Readers often comment in reviews that they like my style, but I don’t know what I’d call my style. I write real characters with real flaws. People who know me say that they can hear my voice in my work.
What was your first published work? Tell me a little about it. My very first book was For Nicky. This story grew from me doing a lot of people watching and forming a story in my head. It’s about twin brothers, Nate and Nicky. Nicky was born with developmental delays, Nate was not. Nicky is a very special person and he wants nothing more than for his favorite librarian, Miss Elizabeth “Libby” and his brother, Nate to meet and fall in love.
How did you choose the topic for this book? Several times I’d seen two brothers. One had a lot of developmental issues and his brother took such amazing care of him. It made me think about their relationship and what it would look like as they got older and traveled through their lives.
Tell us something we don’t know about your heroes. What makes them tick? My heroes are always very real people. They make mistakes, they can be completely dumb at times, but they all have big hearts and end up doing what is right. My guys love big and love real.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? The only thing I always wanted to be was a teacher. I went through some times where I wanted to be a marine biologist (my fear of deep water nixed that) or a DJ. I ended up being a teacher (and now an instructional coach.)
If you had the opportunity to live one year of your life over again, which year would you choose, and why? I’d probably go back and live all of 2011 over again. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010 and died in early 2012. We had an amazing 2011, but I’d love to go back to then and spend time with her.
Tell me about a unique or quirky habit of yours. I have a hard time making eye contact with people. I chew on the inside of my lip a lot. I also drink waaaay too much hot tea.
Which of your own characters would you Kill? Fuck? Marry? And why? Um, with so many of my characters being gay men, I’m pretty sure my selection for f*cking is very small. Also, I don’t really want to kill anyone, can I just knee them in the balls? So, KILL (knee in the balls) would be Dick Silver (Silver in the City) and Micah’s dad (Fight for It.)
Would you visit the future or the past, and why? I think I’d try to change the future or live a certain way to make sure whatever I saw in the future came to fruition. So, I’ll take the past. I’d love to see the pioneer times, the roaring 20’s, and the 50’s.
What’s your drink of choice? Hot tea (sweet!) Always hot tea. I also love McD’s Coke, but I don’t have it often. I’m a fan of unsweetened iced tea as well.
What’s in your fridge right now? Milk (which I don’t drink often), cheese, butter, eggs, bacon, pickles, condiments, hard cider, juice, pop (soda), pudding, sour cream, yogurt, salsa, apples, carrots.
What food(s) fuel your writing? Hot tea, Snickers, chocolate covered peanuts, bagels.
What are you working on now, and when can we expect it? I hope to have a romantic suspense finished by the time anyone reads this interview. I’m also working on a story that’s been banging around in my head for over six months and is probably my kinkiest one yet. I’m planning both of those stories to release in 2020.
Chase Steele and Xander Copperfield are down on their luck, as similar as they are different, and ready for a love they didn’t even realize they’d been waiting on their whole lives.
With two gorgeous “tough guys” discovering and exploring their true selves, Hearts Ablaze is a steamy, slow-burn, friends-to-lovers, opposites attract, bisexual awakening romance.
*This is the first book in the Forged in the City series.*
- Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086HXXHNY
- Series Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087253JSP
- Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52621206-hearts-ablaze
- QueeRomance Ink Link: https://www.queeromanceink.com/book/hearts-ablaze/
A.D. Ellis is an Indiana girl, born and raised. She spends much of her time in central Indiana as an instructional coach/teacher in the inner city of Indianapolis, being a mom to two amazing school-aged children, and wondering how she and her husband of almost two decades have managed to not drive each other insane. A lot of her time is also devoted to phone call avoidance and her hatred of cooking.
She loves chocolate, wine with friends, pizza, crocheting and naps along with reading and writing romance. These loves don’t leave much time for housework, much to the chagrin of her husband. Who would pick cleaning the house over a nap or a good book? She uses any extra time to increase her fluency in sarcasm.
- Author Website: https://www.adellisauthor.com
- Author Facebook (Author Page): https://www.facebook.com/adellisauthor
- Author Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/ADEllisAuthor
- Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/adellisauthor
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8068864.A_D_Ellis
- Author QueeRomance Ink: https://www.queeromanceink.com/mbm-book-author/a-d-ellis/
- Author Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/A.D.-Ellis/e/B00K0YJ8CW
A.D. has brought a $20 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader on her tour. Follow the Rafflecopter below to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.