Today I am so pleased to welcome K.L. Noone to Joyfully Jay. K.L. has come to talk to us about her latest release, Steadfast. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Because Steadfast—and the whole Character Bleed trilogy—is so very much about stories and storytelling, I wanted to talk about a few of the authors who influenced this particular story! There are more, too many to name—but these are some of the most prominent:
1) Patrick O’Brian – the Aubrey-Maturin series, otherwise known as the Master and Commander novels, have always been the backbone of the Character Bleed trilogy! The historical detail, the Napoleonic Wars setting, the relationship between Stephen and Jack…all of that’s woven into my fictional Steadfast-the-novel, which is being adapted into a film, in my books! There’s a reason Jason’s movie character is named Stephen, after all…
2) Mary Renault – specifically The Charioteer, which has the same sort of ‘feel’ as I imagine for George’s fictional novel of Steadfast, and in fact his own life: that kind of wartime pain and melancholy, the search for a queer identity and community, and the ambivalent mournful—but also hopeful—ending.
3) Jane Austen – I do love Austen—the dry wit, the memorable personalities, the domestic detail, the romance—and Persuasion is especially important here, I think, for the concerns of naval officers and injuries and the importance of writing eloquently and of seizing second chances.
4) K.J. Charles – I adore everything K.J. Charles writes, of course! For this series I was thinking most about her Society of Gentleman novels: that luscious and detailed dive into historical London society, full of class and socioeconomic and political discussions, diverse and vibrant and passionate, and also beautifully romantic.
5) Alexis Hall – Colby spends a lot of the trilogy recommending fantasy/steampunk/paranormal romances to Jason (Jason reads a lot of science fiction and fantasy, but hasn’t read much romance!), and the fictional five-book series they discuss, about steampunk gay romance with airships and sky pirates, is a homage to Alexis Hall’s Prosperity stories! (And, well, I named the fictional author Alex Castle, in a bonus story—not terribly subtle!)
6) Gail Carriger – also on Colby’s recommendation list for Jason, when he mentions werewolves in waistcoats! Colby is a huge fan. Jason is too, once he dives in.
7) Cat Sebastian – I highly, highly recommend all of Cat Sebastian’s Regency romances—m/m, f/f, m/f, everything!—but especially A Gentleman Never Keeps Score. Cat’s Hartley and my Colby would understand each other well, I think.
8) Kate Lister – A Curious History of Sex, which is a marvelously readable pop-scholarly history of, yes, sex, from the excellent Dr. Kate Lister, lecturer at Leeds Trinity University and the curator of the online Whores of Yore project! Delightful fun, informative and well-researched, and wonderfully sex-positive—I recommend this one for anyone interested, and I’m sure Colby and Jason, being history enthusiasts and also very fond of pleasure, recommend it too!
A love story for the ages! An intimate confession! An epic quest! And happily ever after on the horizon…
Jason Mirelli loves Colby Kent. And Colby loves him. They’ve told the world. And Colby’s recovered from injury, so they’re back at work and back on set. Jason just might have everything he’s ever dreamed of, with a serious leading role, an epic love story, and Colby safe and happy in his arms—but they only have two weeks of filming to go. He’s afraid of the dream falling apart, and he knows Colby has a secret to confess—one that could transform both the ending of their movie and their future together.
Colby never got around to telling Jason his final secret before the accident on set. Now that he’s recovered, he wants to share his writing and his silent script doctor work with the man he loves. Besides, he’s rewritten this script to give their characters a proper happy ending. But he’s nervous about making changes to a classic novel, and he wants the author’s approval.
Colby’s hoping to seek out the famously reclusive author in question, but first he’ll need to trust Jason with this last piece of himself. If he can, he and Jason might finally find their happily-ever-after both on screen and off—for their characters and for themselves.
Seaworthy (Book One)
- JMS Books: https://www.jms-books.com/kl-noone-c-224_279/character-bleed-book-1-seaworthy-p-3397.html
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DN2M5XR
- B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/seaworthy-kl-noone/1137406865
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/seaworthy-3
Stalwart (Book Two)
- JMS Boooks: https://www.jms-books.com/kl-noone-c-224_279/character-bleed-book-2-stalwart-p-3471.html
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GZW7DNH
- B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stalwart-kl-noone/1137609405
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/stalwart-1
Steadfast (Book Three)
- JMS Books: https://www.jms-books.com/kl-noone-c-224_279/character-bleed-book-3-steadfast-p-3503.html
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KKTTZDT
- B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/steadfast-kl-noone/1137835500
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/steadfast-23
K.L. Noone employs her academic research for writing romance, frequently LGBTQIA, often paranormal, fantasy, or historical. Her full-length romance novels include the Character Bleed trilogy (Seaworthy, Stalwart, Steadfast), Cadence and the Pearl, and A Demon for Midwinter, available from JMS Books, and A Prophecy for Two, available from Inkshares, and she’s also the author of multiple romance short stories with JMS Books, and previously with Less Than Three Press, Circlet Press, and Ellora’s Cave. Her non-romance fantasy fiction has appeared in Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Sword and Sorceress and the magazine Aoife’s Kiss.
With the Professor Hat on, she’s published scholarly work on romance, fantasy, and folklore, including a book on Welsh mythology in popular culture and a book on ethics in Terry Pratchett’s fantasy. She is happily bisexual, married to the marvelous Awesome Husband, and currently owned by a long-legged black cat named Merlyn.
- Author Website: https://klnoone.wordpress.com/
- Author Facebook (Personal): https://www.facebook.com/kristin.noone/
- Author Twitter: https://twitter.com/kristinnoone
- Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/greenwoodoutlaw/
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8435102.K_L_Noone
- Author QueeRomance Ink: https://www.queeromanceink.com/mbm-book-author/k-l-noone/
- Author Liminal Fiction (LimFic.com): https://www.limfic.com/mbm-book-author/k-l-noone/
- Author Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/K.L.-Noone/e/B07CWMZ6CP
K.L. has brought a $10 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader on her tour. Follow the Rafflecopter below to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.