Today I am so pleased to welcome J. Scott Coatsworth to Joyfully Jay. Scott has come to talk to us about his latest release, Wonderland. He has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving Scott a big welcome!
Writing During the Great Pause
As of this moment, we’re at day 249 of our self-imposed exile.
Self-imposed because we closed the doors a week before California officially locked down, and have kept it up ever since. I go out once a week to get the business mail and do curbside pick-up for our groceries, and otherwise I pretty much stay at home and work and eat and clean and sleep and write.
My world is measurably smaller, most days defined by the small walls of the little yellow bungalow we rent from a friend in East Sacramento. It feels safe but confining, a comfortable prison we’ve learned to inhabit until the specter of Covid passes from our door.
On the bright side, I’ve settled into a regular writing pattern. Every morning I get up at 5:30 and sit down to write for an hour or two.
In 2019, I decided to move away from romance to focus on writing diverse sci fi and fantasy, and in 2020 I made great progress.
I wrote a new novel, penned a bunch of short stories (and sold one to a mainstream sci fi magazine), submitted my last novel to 140 agents, entered Pitch Wars and snared a request (if not an actual mentor). And now I have a plan.
2020 sucked. Bigtime. But it’s also been one of those butterfly-in-the-chrysalis years, and I’m hopeful that I’ll burst forth in 2021 with shiny rainbow-colored wings.
Or maybe 2021 will be as much of a shit show as 2020.
Either way, I’m keeping my head down and my nose to the grindstone, and putting beautiful things out into a complicated world.
It’s a lovely job, and somebody has to do it.
Zeke is a hermit in his late forties who lives a quiet life in a small cabin in the Western Montana mountains, a few miles outside of Thompson Falls. He’s gotten used to being alone since the end of the world, and has everything he needs. Everything but someone to talk to.
Nathan is a younger man on a cross-country trek, searching the country for someone… anyone still alive. Saddled with a ghost from his old life and a case of OCD, he stumbles upon Thompson Falls and a pack of rabid dogs.
Rescued by Zeke, he has to figure out how to be human again. And with Christmas just a week away, both men have to figure out if there’s something left to be hopeful for, and if they might have a future together.
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NWQHTJP
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55984115-wonderland
Scott lives with his husband Mark in a yellow bungalow in Sacramento. He was indoctrinated into fantasy and sci fi by his mother at the tender age of nine. He devoured her library, but as he grew up, he wondered where all the people like him were.
He decided that if there weren’t queer characters in his favorite genres, he would remake them to his own ends.
A Rainbow Award winning and runs Queer Sci Fi, QueeRomance Ink, Liminal Fiction, and Other Worlds Ink with Mark, sites that celebrate fiction reflecting queer reality, and is a full member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).
- Author Website: https://www.jscottcoatsworth.com/
- Author Facebook (Personal): https://www.facebook.com/jscottcoatsworth
- Author Facebook (Author Page): https://www.facebook.com/jscottcoatsworthauthor/
- Author Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/jscoatsworth/
- Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jscottcoatsworth/
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8392709.J_Scott_Coatsworth?from_search=true
- Author QueeRomance Ink: Liminal Fiction: https://www.limfic.com/mbm-book-author/j-scott-coatsworth/
- Author Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/J.-Scott-Coatsworth/e/B011AFO4OQ
Scott has brought $15 Amazon gift card OR a signed paperback trilogy of the Ariadne Cycle 1st Edition (The Stark Divide, The Rising Tide, & The Shoreless Sea, USA Only)! Follow the Rafflecopter below to enter.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.