Today I am so pleased to welcome Edie Montreux to Joyfully Jay. Edie has come to share the cover for her upcoming release, Spread Your Wings. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Thanks so much for letting me post my cover reveal today, Jay!
Spread Your Wings is a re-release with minimal updates, and I’m so happy to share the new cover from Cate Ashwood!
I’ve had a hard time wrapping my brain around this as historical romance, but it will have been 30 years since Freddie Mercury’s death this year. This novella was written for a submission call about an MC attending a concert. I started with the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on April 20, 1992 and worked backwards, looking at the events in the world at the time. It made sense to include the Bosnian war, since that was the biggest news story. Sammy Donnelly is a news correspondent on his first assignment, and he’s not prepared to report on a war. He’s also not looking for love when he arrives since he already has a boyfriend back in the states. He receives a “Dear Sammy” letter within the first week in Sarajevo. Mustafa shifts from a sweet temptation to hot possibility, but it’s not until they’re safe at the concert in London that they work through how they feel about each other.
I dedicated the story to Freddie Mercury, my patron saint of HIV tests. I grew up Catholic, and because I’m demisexual, I didn’t recognize a situation that escalated to my personal HIV scare in 1993. When I was too worried to sleep at night, praying to Freddie kept me sane. Because I’m still here, I swore I would repay the favor by joining gay rights advocacy groups and sharing Freddie Mercury stories with anyone who would listen. Queen’s music brings Sammy and Mustafa together, and even adds some humor to their relationship. I loved giving them their Happily-Ever-After. Thanks for the opportunity to share with you today!
Sarajevo, 1992: Journalist Sammy Connelly finally gets his big break when an international news network sends him to crumbling Yugoslavia to cover escalating tensions. Alone in a strange country, Sammy is unprepared for the isolation of his assignment and scandal back home. The only bright spot is his conversations with Mumu, the charming hotel clerk who shares Sammy’s love for the band Queen and maybe loves Sammy too.
Mustafa lives in hiding, since fat bottomed girls don’t do it for him. His Muslim faith doesn’t accept him. Most of his family has disowned him. He even changes his name at work so American tourists feel more comfortable around him. He knows there’s more to life than this, and when he meets Sammy, he wants it all, including somebody to love.
Sammy’s inquisitive nature allows Mustafa to open up about music, his past, and dreams for the future. The more Sammy learns about him, the more he wants to fly him to safety, no matter the cost.
Spread Your Wings is a 1990s historical M/M romance featuring a reporter on his first job, two men from different cultures, and true love conquering all. Their love story spans the globe, from Sarajevo to London to Atlanta and touches on the HIV/AIDS epidemic, the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, religious acceptance, and the struggles of living in a war-torn country.
Edie Montreux is demisexual and an ally for all aspects of the LGBTQ+ rainbow. She loves her husband, Queen, dogs, and video games. Edie works full-time to support her LGBTQ-fiction writing habit, but still finds time to walk the dogs and protect imaginary worlds from fantasy creatures.
Edie has brought a $10 Amazon gift card to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Friday, April 9th at 11:59 pm ET.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to my email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.