Today I am so pleased to welcome Charlie Novak to Joyfully Jay. Charlie has come to share an exclusive excerpt from her latest release, Proficiency Bonus. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
We’d sipped the cocktails slowly, each getting different ones and sharing while we played our way through several rounds of Sushi Go and then a leisurely game of Carcassonne while we’d eaten, building the map around the plates. Jason had thumped me at Sushi Go, but had failed miserably at Carcassonne, so it felt very fair. Although I still wasn’t sure how I’d won, considering I’d been distracted by a smidge of burger sauce that was stuck on the edge of Jason’s lip. I’d had to point it out to him before my brain could follow through with the stupid suggestion of licking it off him.
One of my real worries about today had been that we wouldn’t know how to talk to each other. Messaging back and forth, and even video chatting, were different than hanging out in real life, and I’d worried things would be ridiculously awkward between us while we stumbled around looking for things to talk about.
Turned out, I hadn’t needed to worry.
“Do you want to try Forbidden Island?” Jason asked as we collected up the Carcassonne tiles after our second game, which he’d also lost. Spectacularly.
“Sure.” I reached for the tin, opened it up, and laid out all the pieces as Jason slotted the last of the Carcassonne tiles into the box. Our hands brushed, sending a little pulse of electricity up my arms, and I felt my skin tingle. “It, er, it might be best if we sit next to each other for this one,” I said as I pulled Forbidden Island towards me, “since we have to work together.
“Sounds good.” He came round and slid in next to me. My pulse kicked up, and I swallowed. Jason smiled at me. “Hey.”
“You’re even cuter up close,” he said softly, his skin tinting across the bridge of his nose. I smiled, trying to pretend I wasn’t as affected as I was.
“Thanks… So are you.”
His thigh nudged mine. “Do you have the rules?”
“Er, yeah. They’re in the tin.” I opened it and pulled out the little booklet.
The rules didn’t look too complex. We read through them as we laid out the tiles, my heart still beating a million miles an hour. I swallowed and tried to focus.
Roll for Love, Book Three
Organising yourself is harder than it looks—Lewis may be a highly proficient PA for two very successful cosplayers, but that means nothing when you’re living at your parent’s house after yet another failed relationship and trying to find some stable ground.
Jason Lu, star of Celestials, is stuck between a rock and a hard place. When the show is cancelled and his character pigeonholed into a homophobic ending, Jason must choose whether to fall in line or break ranks. But one misstep will mean bumping heads with some powerful people.
Teaming up with the very cute guy he met at Comic Con seems like a natural first step and now Lewis and Jason must choose between heartbreak and justice. As they forge ahead, they realise there are no bonuses for navigating life’s challenges, instead they’ll just have to fight for what they believe in.
But sometimes overcoming the biggest hurdles yields the best results.
Proficiency Bonus is a 79,000-word contemporary MM romance featuring plushies, Pokémon, and a fight for the perfect ending. It is book three in the Roll for Love series and can be read as a standalone.
Charlie lives in England with her husband and a dachshund named Biscuit. She spends most of her days wrangling other people’s words in her day job and then trying to force her own onto the page in the evening.
She loves cute stories with a healthy dollop of fluff, plenty of delicious sex, and happily ever afters — because the world needs more of them. Charlie also believes that loves comes in all shapes and sizes.
Charlie has very little spare time, but what she does have she fills with cooking, pole-dancing, reading and ice-hockey. She also thinks that everyone should have at least one favourite dinosaur…
Connect with Charlie:
- Website: https://charlienovak.com/
- Newsletter https://charlienovak.com/newsletter-sign-up/
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/charlienovakauthor/
- Bookbub https://www.bookbub.com/profile/charlie-novak
- Twitter https://twitter.com/charlienwrites
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/charlienwrites/
- Facebook Group, Charlie’s Angels https://www.facebook.com/groups/charlienovaksangels/
To celebrate the release of Proficiency Bonus, Charlie is giving 1 lucky winner the chance to win an e-set of Roll for Love Series so far (3 ebooks)! Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway for your chance to win!
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.