Today I am so pleased to welcome Riley Long to Joyfully Jay. Riley has come to talk to us about her latest release, His Heart Knows. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
“If that’s how you kiss people, you definitely need help.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
He smirked. “Nothing.”
“I was caught off guard, okay? You can’t just kiss someone and expect miracles.”
“Whatever you say.” It was a clear challenge. He sipped his gin slowly, watching me with his dark brown eyes over the rim of his glass.
“Fuck you.” I scowled and put my glass down. It met the table with a satisfying clunk, ice shifting as it did. If Sawyer wanted a kiss, I’d give him a fucking kiss. The risk of losing him, of spilling how I felt and him reacting badly, seemed so distant at that moment, with the beer and gin coursing through my body, with him having pushed and pushed all night for me to do exactly what I was about to do.
I slid closer to him, narrowed the gap between our bodies. This was what I wanted, what I’d always wanted. I’d ached for Sawyer since we were teenagers. As long as I’d known him, as long as I’d known myself well enough to know I really did like other guys, I’d wanted Sawyer. Since I was fourteen, I’d wanted him. I’d kept those feelings hidden, locked away for a over decade, worried that if he knew, he’d be appalled, he’d run away, and I’d lose his friendship forever. In that moment, though, Sawyer grinning at me, practically taunting me, it didn’t seem to matter. It didn’t seem to be a remote possibility.
My hands trembled as I leaned ever closer, sliding until our knees touched. Sawyer didn’t pull away. He kept his gaze locked on mine, staring into my soul. He knew. He had to know. My heart raced again, lurching into my throat. Everything moved in slow motion. I leaned even closer, licked my lips, and exhaled softly.
People fall in love with their best friends all the time. But for me, the circumstances of this unrequited attraction are even more agonizing.
I am gay.
My best friend, Sawyer, is not.
Since we were fifteen, I’ve harbored this torturous crush. Now, as we both enter our thirties, it seems time to resign myself to the fact that nothing is going to come of it. Ever.
Or so I thought…
One night, a bottle of gin and a little uncharacteristic self-pity were all the inspiration I needed to launch into a ramble about being alone because I’m bad at everything – even kissing. Determined to prove me wrong, Sawyer decided to shut me up with a kiss.
I know he meant for it to be innocent.
Turns out it was anything but.
Sparks flew as we unlocked a side of Sawyer he never knew existed. Now, more than anything, he wants me by his side forever. But this realization comes with its own set of obstacles. Can we learn to lean on each other as we build a future together? Or will the stresses of our day to day lives tear us apart?
Riley Long is a wife and mother living a quiet life in Virginia, with her husband, son, and one goofy pit bull. She passes her evenings writing, reading, and watching bad television (or not so bad television). For fun, Riley participates in NaNoWriMo, GISH, and reads with her book club, the BAMFs. She likes things with silly acronyms. The craziest thing Riley has ever done involves whipped cream and hugs. Riley writes sweet and sexy romance, with a special place in her heart for hipsters and musicians.
Connect with Riley:
- Book Bub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/riley-long
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13515411.Riley_LongAmazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B01578N1BO
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/writerrileylong
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/writerrileylong/boards/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/writerrileylong/
- Website: https://rileylongwrites.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WriterRileyLong/
To celebrate Riley’s release, we are giving readers 1 of 2 chances too win an e-copy of His Heart Knows! Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway for your chance to win!
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.