Today I am so pleased to welcome Michele Notaro to Joyfully Jay. Michele has come to talk to us about her latest release, The Scars That Bind Us. She has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Michele wrote some questions and answers to share with us today!
How long have you been writing?
Basically my whole life. When I was young, I used to write in journals and diaries and tell little stories in them. When I was a teenager, my best friend and I wrote a screenplay… a very, very terrible screenplay that I’m glad has been lost forever! Lol. I finally finished my first full-length fiction novel when I was thirty, but didn’t publish for another two years after that.
Are you a full-time or part-time writer? How does that affect your writing?
I’m a full-time writer. Or at least I try to be. Sometimes the kids demand otherwise. Ha! I love that I get to wake up every morning and write until it’s time to pick the kids up from school or make dinner. I think being full-time allows me to truly focus on my stories in a way I’m not sure I’d be able to do if I didn’t get to work on them every day. I’m very grateful I get to do this full-time.
Who did your cover, and what was the design process like?
Natasha Snow did my cover. I emailed her with my idea and we went back and forth a few times, trying to figure out some details. I also sent her some example pictures for some of the elements. Then she sent a couple of mockups, and I gave her some opinions and changes on some of the smaller aspects. We went back and forth a few times before she came up with the gorgeous cover we ended up with. I’m so very happy with it because I think it looks beautiful.
What secondary character would you like to explore more? Tell me about him or her.
He’s Madeo’s best friend and dyad, meaning he’s basically the human equivalent of Madeo’s magic wand. He’s covered in tattooed runes that Madeo uses to power his magic. But that’s just a tiny part of him. He’s also a mage himself, very protective of his dyad, kind to others (unless you don’t know how to do your job or you’re unkind to Madeo), and a big teddy bear on the inside. His friendship/brotherhood with Madeo is very unique and special, and I’m looking forward to exploring that more as the series goes on. Jude is definitely a guy you’d want in your corner, but I can’t wait to dig deeper into him and maybe get to see him a little vulnerable, too.
What pets are currently on your keyboard, and what are their names? Pictures?
My two cats, Trinity and Jupiter. Trinity is my little princess and a three-legged Russian blue, who we rescued in October of 2020. Jupiter is my little trouble maker and a four-legged Russian blue mix, who we rescued in April of 2021. They’re both really sweet and bring a lot of joy to our whole family. I would absolutely adopt more cats (and dogs) if I could get away with it!
Sometimes the worst scars are the ones you can’t see.
Growing up in the magi compound was far from easy. I didn’t think I’d ever get out of that horrid place, but eighteen years ago, my world changed. I was allowed freedoms I’d never had before, although, even today, I was still at the Non-Human Specialties Operations’ beck and call.
Which is how I find myself on a team with my best friend, five shifters, and a human.
Now, I have to figure out a way to work with others—with shifters. I’ve never been one to trust easily, and I don’t see that changing, but this shifter pride has a way of getting past my walls. Unfortunately, all that means is now I have even more people I need to protect against the evils of this world, and I really don’t know how I’m gonna do it.
All three species have been at odds for more than a century, but maybe Cosmo—a lion shifter—and I can put aside our differences to work together and keep everyone safe. And if I’m secretly crushing on the guy, well, I think I’ll keep that to myself.
The Scars That Bind Us is a 115K word novel and the first book in the MM urban fantasy series, The Magi Accounts.
*Intended for adults only. Please read the trigger warnings at the beginning of this book.
- Publisher: https://mybook.to/ScarsThatBindUs
- Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L57W5KN
- Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09L57W5KN
- Amazon CAN: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09L57W5KN
- Universal Link: https://mybook.to/ScarsThatBindUs
Michele is married to an awesome guy that puts up with her and all the burnt dinners she makes—hey, sometimes characters are a bit distracting, and who doesn’t plot when they’re supposed to be cooking? They live together in Baltimore, Maryland with two little monsters, three-legged and four-legged fiends, and a little old man (aka their two sons, their two cats, and their senior dog). She hopes to rescue another cat soon, and if her hubby wouldn’t kill her, she’d get more than one… and maybe a few more dogs as well.
She loves creating worlds filled with lots of love, chosen family, and of course, magic, but she also likes making the characters fight for that happy ending. She hopes to one day write all the stories in her head—even if there are too many to count!
- Author Website: https://michelenotaro.com/
- Author Facebook (Personal): https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013432570194
- Author Facebook (Author Page): https://www.facebook.com/author.notaro/
- Author Instagram: https://instagram.com/michelenotaro.author
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16187122.Michele_Notaro
- Author Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/author/michelenotaro
Michele is giving away a $20 Amazon gift card with this tour:
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.