Today I am so pleased to welcome J. Scott Coatsworth to Joyfully Jay. Scott has come to talk to us about the Save the World anthology. He has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving him a big welcome!
Everything is despair.
Countries attack other countries. Hurricanes come earlier and earlier, as do the fires which ravage our forests. Lies spread like a pandemic, and there’s a pandemic too.
It’s easy to get demoralized, depressed, and despairing. It’s easy to decide to just drop out.
I’ve felt this. So many things haven’t gone my way, personally and professionally. I live in Northern California, and now every summer we choke on the smoke from forest fires and roast in summer heat that seems to grow worse every year.
Things are changing, under the surface. Solar energy and electric cars are gaining a foothold. Ford is moving its F-150 fleet to all-electric, with more power than the gas models had and far less pollution.
We’re slowly getting a handle on the pandemic, and it’s not the all-consuming threat it once was.
There are reasons for hope.
With this in mind, I challenged authors to write hope-filled stories of how we might combat, mitigate, or even reverse the ill-effects of climate change. Seventy-five authors responded, and from those entries we chose twenty gems.
Sometimes the solutions are small and local. Sometimes they are huge and change everything. And sometimes they are as simple as a shift of perspective.
All of them shine a little light into the coming darkness, daring us to hold up our own flames and dream about what we might do to turn back the tide.
Sink into your comfy chair, read them, and dream along with us as we spread a little hope.
Climate change is no longer a vague future threat. Forests are burning, currents are shifting, and massive storms dump staggering amounts of water in less than 24 hours. Sometimes it’s hard to look ahead and see a hopeful future.
We asked sci-fi writers to send us stories about ways to save the world from climate change. From the myriad of stories we received, we chose the twenty most amazing (and hopefully prescient) tales.
Dive in and find out how we might mitigate climate change via solar mirrors, carbon capture, genetic manipulation, and acts of change both large and small.
The future’s not going to fix itself.
Participating Authors: Gustavo Bondini, J. Scott Coatsworth, Rachel Hope Crossman, Jana Denardo, Derek Des Anges, CJ Erick, J.G. Follansbee, Geoffrey Hart, M.J. Holt, Jennifer Irani, Andrew Rucker Jones, Micháel McCormick, Christoper R. Muscato, Masimba Musodza, M.D. Neu, Jennifer R. Povey, NRM Roshak, Holly Schofield, Lisa Short, Heather Marie Spitzberg
- Universal Buy Link: https://books2read.com/u/mv1Y1l
- Liminal Fiction: https://www.limfic.com/book/save-the-world/
J. Scott Coatsworth lives with his husband Mark in a yellow bungalow in Sacramento. He was indoctrinated into fantasy and sci fi by his mother at the tender age of nine. He devoured her library, but as he grew up, he wondered where all the people like him were. He decided that if there weren’t queer characters in his favorite genres, he would remake them to his own ends. A Rainbow Award winning author, he runs Queer Sci Fi, QueeRomance Ink, and Other Worlds Ink with Mark, sites that celebrate fiction reflecting queer reality, and is a full member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) and the head of its self-publishers committee.
Other Worlds Ink is giving one lucky winner their choice of $25 Starbucks GC or a $25 donation to the Sierra Club in the winner’s name:
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.