Today I am so pleased to welcome M.D. Grimm to Joyfully Jay. M.D. has come to talk to us about her latest release, Resistance. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
Good day lovely readers! Thank you for joining me. I am M.D. Grimm and I am here to promote my newest release, Resistance. This is the latest entry in the Saga of the Bold People. I am thrilled to release a new book in this series. These are super-novels and take twice as long as my other books to write (if I’m lucky). So, if you like grumpy, pessimistic former assassins and their long-suffering mates, as well as a dystopian setting with hope hanging on by a thread, this series might be for you!
So… I have a confession. I didn’t intentionally write this series as dystopian.
I’m dead serious.
It’s only recently that I’ve realized it could be dystopian, and I feel like an idiot. In my defense, I don’t read dystopian stories at all. I have little exposure to the genre and little interest in it. But somehow, someway, through my ignorance, I’ve managed to create a series leaning heavily into the tenants of dystopian lit. So, uh, go me?
It forced me to research what dystopian lit actually was, as well as examples to compare my own works to. I think Saga of the Bold People toes the line but doesn’t fully embrace the tropes. Which makes sense, considering I wasn’t aware what I was doing. Apparently. Again, in my defense, I was in my early twenties, hadn’t published anything yet, and it was during my college years in summer. I was still a baby writer, you could say.
After looking into dystopian lit, I’ve decided I don’t want to lean too heavily into it. This is supposed to be a sci-fi romance, first and foremost. That means a happy ending. Dystopian, by definition, doesn’t require that. But there’s definitely dystopic elements:
- Oppressed/terrorized/enslaved humanity
- Social control including tech, bureaucracy, and reproduction
- Aliens rule the InterGalactic community and maintain that control on the backs of those less fortunate (humans and other lower-class aliens)
- I will have encounters with human cults so… there’s the religious/philosophical control
But in a number of ways, my series is more of a dark romance with a science fiction setting:
- It’s not allegory—though a case could be made about the slavery aspects… but I didn’t have a specific criticism in mind (other than slavery is horrible!). It was important to the plot.
- Not engaged in “forever wars,” and no environment disasters. In fact, it’s a point of pride for aliens to have their home planet’s pristine and cherished. Humans are left in the cold because we don’t have a home planet.
- It’s set far into the future, though I’m not specific what year. No one knows when Earth was destroyed and when humans traveled into the area of space controlled by the InterGalactic community.
I leave it up for you to decide what it is. I’m fine with folks thinking it’s dystopian or dystopian-lite.
Can a retired assassin be the savior his people need?
How does a former assassin save his fellow humans from extinction? By allying them with mrrogs of course!
But that’s easier said than done as humans are understandably distrustful and suspicious of sescurei, the official species of the InterGalactic community. Leopold must convince them that Mastrodai’s offer of alliance isn’t a trick, which means diplomacy, patience, and tenacity. Times like this make him grateful that he has two strong mates to lean on. And when it comes to understanding his own people, he’d be wise to follow Alex’s lead.
Alex has been too long away from her family and is thrilled to see them again. But with reunions come old pressures, old doubts, and old wounds. She must negotiate who she was with who she is, while helping her mates and her colony come together with the shared goal of freedom.
Mastrodai, meanwhile, finds himself in the minority for the first time in his life, and the constant hostility has him doubting the wisdom of their choices. But he’s devoted to his human mates and determined to see things through no matter the discomfort… or danger.
Not everyone wants what Leopold and his mates have to give, and he needs to break through the resistance humans have built up after generations of degradation, humiliation, and fear. He must win his people’s trust, solve the riddle of his parents’ rings, and navigate the new complexities of his love life.
Being an assassin was so much easier.
Warnings: PTSD, abusive family, a cult, dystopian
Universal Buy Link: https://www.limfic.com/book/resistance/
Leopold is a human in an alien-dominated InterGalactic Community. He gained a reputation as the assassin Voidstriker, until his identity was revealed. He soon finds himself reassessing his life, his mission, and his own identity.
Having spent his entire life driven by hate and fear, he soon finds himself motivated by hope and love. He decides on a new mission in life: freeing the human species. It will be a long, hard road, and one he can’t walk alone. Even as his allies grow in number, he will most depend on his mates–Mastrodai, the mrrog prince, and Alexandra, a fellow human, his best friend, and their lover.
Along with Sasha, a young girl with extraordinary abilities. Leopold is no stranger to challenges but this might be his greatest trial yet.
M.D. Grimm has wanted to write stories since second grade (kind of young to make life decisions, but whatever) and nothing has changed since then (well, plenty of things actually, but not that!). Thankfully, she has indulgent parents who let her dream, but also made sure she understood she’d need a steady job to pay the bills (they never let her forget it!). After graduating from the University of Oregon and majoring in English, (let’s be honest: useless degree, what else was she going to do with it?) she started on her writing career and couldn’t be happier. Working by day and writing by night (or any spare time she can carve out), she enjoys embarking on romantic quests and daring adventures (living vicariously, you could say) and creating characters that always triumph against the villain, (or else what’s the point?) finding their soul mate in the process.
- Author Website: https://www.mdgrimmwrites.com
- Author Facebook (Personal): https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001710645622
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4574220.M_D_GrimmAuthor
- Liminal Fiction (LimFic.com): https://www.limfic.com/mbm-book-author/m-d-grimm/
- Author QueeRomance Ink: https://www.queeromanceink.com/mbm-book-author/m-d-grimm/
- Author Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/M.D.-Grimm/e/B00I0KZMY6/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0