Today I am so pleased to welcome J. Scott Coatsworth to Joyfully Jay. Scott has come to talk to us about his latest release, Love & Limitations anthology. Please join me in giving him a big welcome!
“Translation,” one of the five stories in the “Love & Limitations” anthology, is one of my favorites. Originally written for Mischief Corner Books on a call for submissions, it was one of my early attempts to branch out beyond my usual West Coast story haunts – San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Portland and Vancouver.
It’s set in New York City, a place I’ve only visited once, which means I spent a lot of time on Google Maps/Street View, and on Apple Maps, scouting out the place. I even picked an actual house where Dominic lives, which helped me nail the atmosphere.
Why is it my favorite?
It blends some of my preferred story elements. There’s Italian, my second language, and some common misunderstandings that play a prominent role in the story.
The protagonist is a fiction writer (though he earns a living writing for a fashion magazine. I may or may not have been influenced by “Ugly Betty”).
And it has a bit of a surprise ending. Honestly, I wasn’t sure where this one would end up until I was almost there, but I was pleased with the end result.
It also has the merest hint of fantast. Spoiler alert – Dominic writes an entire novel in one night. Not that, strictly speaking, that couldn’t happen. If there was enough caffeine involved, the stars all aligned, and it was a very short novel. LOL…
Still, it’s the characters that make this one shine. I loved the competition for Dominic’s affection, and the very different places all three characters come from. It was a joy to write, and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I liked writing it.
Love & Limitations is Scott’s fourth short story collection and his first one featuring his contemporary MM and LGBTQ+ stories:
- I Only Want to Be With You: Derrek likes Ryan. Ryan likes Alex. Alex treats Ryan like trash. So why can’t he see who really loves him?
- The Boy in the Band: It’s hard for a trans kid in high school, just like it was for a gay kid two decades before. Can Ryan and Justin find common ground in time?
- Translation: Dominic has a thing for Italian guys, especially his boss, Dante. His roommate Enrico has a thing for him. No matter how this ends, someone is going to get hurt.
- Slow Thaw: As the Antarctic warms, so does the chilly relationship between scientist Javier Fernandez and new arrival—and trans man—Col Steele as they contend with a disaster on the ice.
- Ten: After the death of his husband, Chris faces a gay mid-life crisis—at thirty-five—as he jumps back into the dating scene for ten dates in ten days.
This is the first time these stories have been collected in one place, and the first publication of “The Boy in the Band.”
Warnings: Bullying, suicidal ideation and attempt, past physical abuse, deadnaming
Universal Buy Link:
- Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/201890360-love-limitations
- QueeRomance Ink Link:https://www.queeromanceink.com/book/love-limitations/
Scott lives with his husband Mark in a yellow bungalow in Sacramento. He was indoctrinated into fantasy and sci fi by his mother at the tender age of nine. He devoured her library, but as he grew up, he wondered where all the people like him were.
He decided that if there weren’t queer characters in his favorite genres, he would remake them to his own ends.
A Rainbow Award winning author, he runs Queer Sci Fi, QueeRomance Ink, and Other Worlds Ink with Mark, sites that celebrate fiction reflecting queer reality, and is the committee chair for the Indie Authors Committee at the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).
- Author Website: https://www.jscottcoatsworth.com
- Author Facebook (Personal): https://www.facebook.com/jscottcoatsworth
- Author Facebook (Author Page): https://www.facebook.com/jscottcoatsworthauthor/
- Author Mastodon: https://mastodon.otherworldsink.com/@jscottcoatsworth
- Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jscottcoatsworth/
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8392709.J_Scott_Coatsworth
- Author Liminal Fiction (LimFic.com): https://www.limfic.com/mbm-book-author/j-scott-coatsworth/
- Author QueeRomance Ink: https://www.queeromanceink.com/mbm-book-author/j-scott-coatsworth/
- Author Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/J.-Scott-Coatsworth/e/B011AFO4OQ