Today I am so pleased to welcome Tim Rayborn to Joyfully Jay. Tim has come to talk to us about his latest release, Lluck. He has also brought along a great giveaway. Please join me in giving Tim a big welcome!
Thoughts on the Inspiration for Lluck
Lluck continues the story begun in Qwyrk, and is the second of a four-book series. The story picks up six months later and drops in to see how our friends from book one are doing. It’s the holiday season, snow is on the ground, and good cheer is all about. Sort of. As you might expect, things go from comfort and joy to a bit of a mess in short order.
As with Qwyrk, this story is inspired by my time living in Yorkshire as a graduate student at the University of Leeds. Not that I went on these kinds of adventures, of course (sorry to say), but when crafting the tale, I drew on my own experiences with the sights and sounds of the region to bring things alive the way I remember them. I also threw in a lot of my interest in English history and European folklore to spice up the tale with appropriate amounts of magic and mystery. And of course, I couldn’t resist throwing in a healthy does of humor and sarcasm; Qwyrk and Blip are still at each other’s throats (in a good-natured way) most of the time!
A new book is the chance to introduce new characters and I was delighted to bring in some very important ones for this book. These folks are mostly not just one-and-done types, but will be playing key roles for the rest of the series. One character in particular will change Qwyrk’s life forever. But for better or worse?
While the first book seemed to percolate for ages (I first conceived of it way back about 2006 and only finished it in 2017 or so), this book was easy and a joy to write, and I finished it in less than year. Of course, it had to go through beta reads and edits and corrections, but I was pleased at how quickly the whole project came about. I think once you get that ball rolling on a first book, it’s easier to keep the momentum going, especially if you feel like you know your characters and the setting of the story. You can jump back in.
This time, Qwyrk and her friends will have a journey across the frigid landscape of a snowy Yorkshire, once again trying to protect the world from a nefarious supernatural evil that wants to dominate it. But this time, there is more to the story than meets the eye, and the lives of innocents hang in the balance. Questions of loyalty and betrayal will haunt Qwyrk, as she worries about who is friend and foe. In the end, friendships and trust will be put to the test, but with luck, Qwyrk might just begin to rethink her long-held jaded view on life.
Lluck is the second book of four, and by four books, I mean four. As much as I love these characters, I don’t want them to overstay their welcome as they stumble into book fourteen. This tale will help move the bigger story along in ways that the reader might not see just yet, and toward its stunning and dramatic conclusion. Well, that’s the plan, anyway. The book makes for fun holiday reading (and beyond), and my hope is that readers who enjoyed Qwyrk will eagerly want to go back to this weird world and savor a second helping of fantasy, humor, fun, and elves, even if they continue to be a bit silly…
All Qwyrk wanted was a few winter days of rest of and relaxation in the small town of Knettles in Yorkshire, but of course, it all goes wrong immediately. She wants to spend time and with her young human friend, Jilly, but Jilly and her not-so-imaginary friend blip have just met a remarkable boy named Lluck, who seems to be able to bend events to his favor.
Lluck is on the run from some awful and obnoxious goblins. On top of that, Qwyrk meets a mysterious and beguiling woman, who’s also looking for the boy. And in the dark, something wants Lluck for itself, but why?
- Publisher: https://arminlear.com
- Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1737276291/
- Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1737276291/
- Amazon CAN: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1737276291/
- Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lluck-tim-rayborn/1140367586?ean=9781737276296
Tim Rayborn is a writer and internationally acclaimed musician. He plays dozens of unusual instruments that many people of have never heard of and often can’t pronounce, including medieval instrument reconstructions and folk instruments from Northern Europe, the Balkans, and the Middle East. He has appeared on over forty recordings, and his wanderings and tours have taken him across the US, all over Europe, to Canada and Australia, and to such romantic locations as Marrakech, Istanbul, Renaissance chateaux, medieval churches, and high school gymnasiums.
On the writing side of things, Tim lived in England for nearly seven years and has a PhD from the University of Leeds. He has written books and magazine articles about music, the arts, history, and business. He currently lives amid many books, antique music reproduction devices (that is, CDs), and instruments, and with a demanding cat. He’s also rather enthusiastic about good wines, single-malt Scotch, and cooking excellent food.
- Author Website: https://www.timrayborn.com
- Author Facebook (Author Page): https://www.facebook.com/TimRaybornMusicandWriting
- Author Twitter: https://twitter.com/Tim_Rayborn
- Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rayborn.esoterica
- Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3160656.Tim_Rayborn
- Author Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tim-Rayborn/e/B00DWY5J8E/
Tim is giving away a $20 Amazon gift card with this tour:
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- By entering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions set out by Rafflecopter for entries.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Void where prohibited by law.
Welcome, Tim, and best wishes for the success of this book. Good lluck with your next writing project!