Today I am so pleased to welcome Jackie North to Joyfully Jay. Jackie is here to talk to us about her latest release, For the Love of a Ghost. She has also brought along a copy to give away. Please join me in giving her a big welcome!
My writing process basically starts out with a purpose, gets messy in the middle, and then straightens out at the far end. That is to say, my characters tend to take over, even if I am very stern with them.
I reckon I’m not the only author to experience this delightful tension, where you are making up people (in your head!) and have clearly determined that they will be sweet or grumpy, violent or sweet, troubled or anxious, and so on. Only to find out that the grumpy one has a heart of butter, or the sweet one might look like a cinnamon bun on the outside, but will cut you if you cross the one he loves.
That’s just the easy part, as it’s fun for an author to go on this voyage of discovering and to have amazing tidbits and texture develop out of a list of character attributes.
The trouble starts when you decide that Character A and Character B will start having what I like to call “intimate relations” along about the 50% mark in your story. Only both characters, in their own ways, will announce to you that they most certainly will not have intimate relations yet, and only want to be holding hands at that point. They assure you the kissing part will occur later, but that’s much later than you had anticipated.
So where does that leave you, the author? You’ve got to scramble to keep up! And it’s the scrambling that keeps me energized about my writing because characters have minds of their own, and you just never know with them, the rascals.
Jackie North has been writing stories since grade school and spent years absorbing the mainstream romances that she found at her local grocery store. As fate would have it, she discovered m/m romance and decided that men falling in love with other men was exactly what she wanted to write books about.
She creates characters who are a bit flawed and broken, who find themselves on the edge of society, and maybe a few who are a little bit lost, but who all deserve a happily ever after. (And she makes sure they get it!)
She likes long walks on the beach, the smell of lavender and rainstorms, and enjoys sleeping in on snowy mornings. She is especially fond of pizza and beer and, when time allows, long road trips with soda fountain drinks and rock and roll music.
In her heart, there is peace to be found everywhere, but since in the real world this isn’t always true, Jackie writes for love.
Soulmates across time. A love that conquers even time itself.
In present day, all Finn wants is to leave behind the family farm and become a ghost hunter.
In 1912, Artie works hard to save enough money to escape the rumors about the kind of man he is, a man who loves other men. He has vowed never to open his heart to another.
Finn has taken up residence in a haunted hotel. There, he’s set up his equipment to track down evidence of the hotel’s three resident ghosts.
When Finn is thrust back into the year 1912, his only thought is to get home. The problem is, he’s fallen for Artie who, in the future, is one of the hotel’s ghosts.
Will Finn get back home? Or will his feelings for Artie cause him to stay in the past, leaving his future behind him?
A male/male time travel romance complete with the scent of lavender, shared beds, daring rescues, found families, root beer floats, and true love across time.
Jackie has brought along a copy of For the Love of a Ghost to give away to one lucky reader. Just leave a comment at the end of the post to enter. The contest ends on Wednesday, June 3rd at 11:59 pm ET.
- By entering the giveaway, you’re confirming that you are at least 18 years old.
- Winners will be selected by random number. No purchase necessary to win. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you win, you must respond to any Joyfully Jay email within 48 hours or another winner may be chosen. Please make sure that your spam filter allows email from Joyfully Jay.
- Winners may be announced on the blog following the contest. By entering the contest you are agreeing to allow your name to be posted and promoted as the contest winner by Joyfully Jay.
- Prizes will be distributed following the giveaway either by Joyfully Jay or the person/organization donating the prize. In order to facilitate prize distribution, the winner name’s and email may be provided to a third party awarding the prize.
- All book prizes are in electronic format and U.S. dollars unless otherwise specified.
- By entering you are agreeing to hold Joyfully Jay harmless if the prize or giveaway in some way negatively impacts the winner.
- Readers may only enter once for each contest. Duplicate entries for the same giveaway will be ignored. In the event of technical problems with the blog during the contest, every effort will be made to extend the contest deadline to allow for additional entries.
- Void where prohibited by law.